kragox

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Girlfriend has an HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop that is having issues. It boots up but no images show up, not even the startup screen. I don't know much about laptops so thought I'd run it by. There's been no damage to it, no water or anything like that. She just booted it up this morning and it brainfarted. Wanted to see if this was repairable/replaceable and if so at what cost? Also, recommendations on pullin the info off the computer without being able to see anything? It has all her college homework on it so kinda vital. Thanks in advance. Wheeeee! :bounce:

Solution

I don't know which country you're in but these seem reasonable prices to me in comparison with 15.6 or the 17.1 which was just delivered here for £119. At this price it's hardly worth tracking down a compatible 14.1 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Compaq-NC6400-DV2000-LCD-screen-14-1-WXGA-B141EW04-/170486978531?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item27b1d0d7e3

Post back if you fancy your chances of changing it yourself - it's not as hard as you might think.

It's best to plug it into a standard PC monitor to see if it's just the screen that's gone wrong. If it is, it's repairable and new screens are on e-Bay. Don't include HP in the search - you'll pay less by searching for the screen size, measured corner to corner. If you do search for an HP dv2000 screen, do it only to get the full details and use those in your search when actually buying.

Even if there's more wrong than just the screen, the data will be transferable by removing the hard disk and slaving it to another computer with a simple and quite inexpensive transfer cable.
[/#000ff]

I don't know which country you're in but these seem reasonable prices to me in comparison with 15.6 or the 17.1 which was just delivered here for £119. At this price it's hardly worth tracking down a compatible 14.1 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Compaq-NC6400-DV2000-LCD-screen-14-1-WXGA-B141EW04-/170486978531?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item27b1d0d7e3

Post back if you fancy your chances of changing it yourself - it's not as hard as you might think.

Solution

erpp

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
BEFORE YOU GO INTO MAJOR SURGERY:

WITH LUCK, IT COULD BE AS SIMPLE AS RESEATING THE BATTERY.

1) I changed the battery in my daughter's dv2000 about three weeks ago.

2) At first the new battery seemed to work fine. I then took it out and reinstalled the old battery, to check it with HP Battery Check - which I discovered on this occasion; I should have done this before replacing it, but I did not.

3) When I installed the new battery again, Battery Check started to give "Replace" for battery health status.

I did not pay much attention to this. The Battery Charge icon indicated the it was "Not Charging", when the cursor was placed over it.

4) Then, two or three weeks later, the screen remained blank when the notebook was started. Hooked up a monitor to the notebook and it showed it to be working well.

5) Wasted a few hours researching the issue, and was about to start dissasembling the screen but I decided before to put the old (original) battery back in. Did this and the screen came back to life at the next Start.

6) Installed the new battery again, removing and reseating it about four times in case there could be a dirty contact, and the screen kept working well. After this, the status reported by Battery Check was "Good", at first, but then it went back again to "Replace" - will have to take this up with the battery vendor.

7) It's hard for me to figure out what would a faulty contact in the battery have to do with the screen not working, but it really looks like this was so.

By the way, if you had to remove the screen frame, like to get to the LCD inverter, here is a good reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT2GFVem_9U

Or, to replace the screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3jNe8tphU

Both procedures seem to be a lot more simple than one thinks.

To get to Battery Check use: Start > Help & Support > Troubleshooting Tools > Battery Check

On the side, to say something good about HP, they did replace the motherboard on this dv2000 in 2009, under a "Limited Warranty Service Enhancement" - that seemed to respond to failure of motherboards in several models, due to overheating. It was repaired, and shipped back, on the same day it arrived at HP. This, after the notebook was already well past its warranty period (had bought it refurbished with a 90 day warranty). It had failed after only 18 months from purchase date. It worked fine since this repair, till the issue described here, and is 4 years old now. We did buy a laptop cooler shortly after the repair, and use it almost all the time.

Hope this may help someone. Good luck.