Solved! Laptop Questions

Black O_o

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hey there. I'm looking at a laptop that meets these requirements. I've done some research and found the Inspiron 1764, with a link here. I would get the $700 model, but I have two questions: #1 Would this fit what I want? #2 Is it worth $100 to upgrade to an i5? I've heard of possibly overclocking the i3.

1_What is your budget? $700-$900

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15-17 inch

3_What screen resolution do you want? More is better, but doesn't really matter.

4_Do you need a portable or Desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement. Portability doesn't matter.

5_How much battery life do you need? Around 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Starcraft 2 - High

World of Warcraft and other MMORPGs - High

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watching movies & streaming music. Multitasking is a priority.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Around 250 GBs.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

A long time.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preferred brands.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution
Nice find!
@ Bestbuy: Asus G60JX Core i5-430M & GeForce GTS 360 16" 1366x768 LCD $900
Model: G60JX-RBBX05 | SKU: 9736955

Asus G60J review (specs are different but the rest of the review should be accurate)
You wouldn't be able to OC any Dell laptop, with the possible exception of the Alienware line.

The included HD 5470 graphics in the Inspiron 1764 would handle WoW and most MMORPGs on High. But my guess is that SC2 won't run well on High. You would get a boost in performance going from the i3 to the i5 but not a major (as in a $100 worth's) boost. For SC2 I think the HD 5470 is going to be the limiting factor.