Best system for ~550$ CAD

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm considering setting up a home theatre in the basement. This is the first time I choose a HT audio system.

Currently, I'm considering the Onkyo HTS5400 HTIB. It's on special for 550$ at BestBuy today. The special ends today, I was thinking of getting the device in a couple of weeks but the bundle looks pretty good (appart for the 20-AWG included wire, but whatever). Also, I need to mention that I'm in Montreal, Canada, as it seems that most HTIB are cheaper in the US :(

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/onkyo-onkyo-800-watts-7-1-channel-3d-receiver-home-theatre-system-hts5400-hts5400/10167716.aspx?path=05bdd23b908a6ad3a1e96f6d22dca7bcen02

What do you guys think? Are there better bundles for the price?
I'm also open to getting the receiver and speakers separately.

Thanks a lot!

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Thanks astrallite.
After comparison between the Onkyo HTS5400 and the Denon/Boston Acoustics DHT-1312BA, that's the system I chose.

My initial fear was about the Onkyo HDCP handshake issues, and the salesman told me he (and his team) hadn't had any such problems reported to him.

I spoke to the salesman and the Boston Acoustics speakers made the difference. Also the fact that 7.1 surround is pretty rare.
The salesman had initially told me that the set was ~650$ CAD and after I corrected him and told him it was only 400$, he was very surprised and told me that it's an extremely good price. And with free shipping, who can complain, right? So I jumped on the occasion. :D

I'll post back here in a couple of months when I've had the chance to experience it.

Again, thanks a bunch!