Solution
Actually a music lover doesn't even need any expensive audio gear. Songs on the radio are good enough and a live experience is nirvana. Its all about the music not the fidelity. That said I have a decent audio system. And no high end system can recreate the original sound - it's just impossible.
Dave

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Audiophiles are all about the fidelity of the music. They are more about what gives a good sound rather than what is being heard.

If you equated this to video. A video-phile might prefer a Blu-ray of "The Phantom Menace" over a DVD of "The Godfather".

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Good explanation of this. Audiophiles are also braggers and materialists.What is the best and greatest
they buy into.Music lovers are simple and devoted to the music they hear.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Actually a music lover doesn't even need any expensive audio gear. Songs on the radio are good enough and a live experience is nirvana. Its all about the music not the fidelity. That said I have a decent audio system. And no high end system can recreate the original sound - it's just impossible.
Dave

Solution

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

agreed

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

I know eh?

It's like against the rules for someone who can afford to Porche or Mercedes to defend themselves.

They have to let all the Honda Civic and Ford Taurus drivers have their day by making fun of people who have a decent job, when in reality if they made a decent living they would buy a nicer car too.

But I know, I understand the rules. People who made a decent living for themselves need to be "humble in grace" and let the poor sods enjoy what they can by lashing out to make themselves feel better.

Sorry stillerfan15. I went out of place. I should let others like you have your day :D

ien2222

Distinguished

*laughs* I feel ya astrallite.

Listen, audiophile and music lover are two different things and are not mutually exclusive (as much as some would like to think it is) and I'm willing to bet that nearly all audiophiles are music lovers too.

I will use this example to illustrate the point: I love music, I will happily go listen to a 5th grade band performance and enjoy it. But if given the choice between listening to a 5th grade band and say...the London Symphony Orchestra, unless I know a kid playing in the band I will always choose the London Symphony Orchestra. Why? Because they sound so so so so much better.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Sorry also.
In the late 80s I spent a lot on good equipment. Nad components, Thorens TT with a nice Ortofon Cart, Sony CD, DCM Time Windows, but the question is music lover or audiophile. Without music their wouldn't be high end audio equipment. So I'm a music lover that likes some fidelity. And I do have a nice job thank you for asking.
Dave

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You can be both an audiophile and a music lover combined.An audiophile is just a title really someone used years ago.