Solved! RPM Hard Drive... important?

chepeps

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello,

After weeks of looking around and thinking about buying Dell I just found an ASUS laptop that seems to be better and cheaper ! I am ready to buy but I just realized that the hard drive was slower than most (5400 RPM instead of 7200).

Below are the key specs:
- core i7 720QM
- ATI Radeon HD 5730
- 4 Go DDR3 memory
- 640 Go SATA (5400 t/mn) hard drive
- 17'3 screen
- no blue-ray !

All this for around $1,200 (around because the price is in euro).

I believe it is quite a good deal but I am worried about the "slow" hard drive. I have no idea about the impact it would have (hardly noticeable or major flaw ?)

Thanks in advance for your expert advice !

Solution
it's noticeable, but not that bad, really. You'll really only be able to tell the difference if you've been using a fast desktop for a while. If you don't do many hard disk intensive things, then you'll only notice the slowness during boot.

frozenlead

Distinguished
it's noticeable, but not that bad, really. You'll really only be able to tell the difference if you've been using a fast desktop for a while. If you don't do many hard disk intensive things, then you'll only notice the slowness during boot.

Solution

chepeps

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for your quick and helpful answer !

So, when running programmes (games, for instance ! :D ), I should not notice the difference ?

I am going for this one because, within my price range and in the 17' category, it offers the best combo CPU-GPU that I could found... but I don't want to be fooled by this and realize that maybe a slightly "worse" GPU with a "normal" hard drive would actually have been better (my current computer is so slow to boot that I am not worried about getting frustrated because of the booting time !) ;) But I tend to play games more intensive on the calculations/database than on the graphis (management/strategy games).

TRENDING THREADS