Sound not working? Brand new asus g60vx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremiah reese

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
hi,
So I just bought a asus g60vx and the sound says its working and shows it working but i still dont hear anything... i tried using earphones but those did not work either. i tried watching a movie and music (internet sound doesnt work) either.... but when i started the laptop i heard the start up sound. it is not onmute ive checked. I have no idea whats wrong... I have Advanced HD 4.0 surround sound on my laptop, maybe its the sound driver?

Thanks for your time =)

photodyer

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I have the exact same issue . . . there is no sound coming from the speaker set.

The sound you hear at startup is coming from the internal speaker (the poor little thing designed for post beeps and the like) as it's happening before windows loads and (supposedly) activates the sound drivers that control the stereo and sub speakers. Therefore, the startup sound is no indication as to whether our actual sound hardware is functional.

Have you contacted tech support yet? I've heard quite a bit of grumbling about ASUS tech support, but I've no first-hand experience yet. I intend to call them in the morning to see if they have a solution--otherwise, this brick is going back to newegg.

stestr

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Here the same. I doesn't hear any Sound from the Speakers but headphone is working.
The dxdiag tools says for the Speaker:
[cpp]-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0663&SUBSYS_104319A3&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5928 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 8/31/2009 18:19:38, 1992352 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No[/cpp]

I have compared this with my other Notebook and my Desktop PC and both show me values for
* Cap Flags: 0xF1F
* Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
* Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

So probably the Hardware or Drivers not working?
I also asked the Asus Support. Waiting for Answer until now...

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
This sounds to me like an issue on another Asus computer. For some reason, there were two audio drivers installed. That may be the case here. If so, uninstall one of the drivers and you should get sound.

stestr

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
There is only one audio driver installed. I also reinstalled win7 an here nothing but thank you for the tip ;-)...Still waiting for a response from Asus Suppport...

G

I have the same issue and i got the answer, it is a hardware failure. When you tried to take off your headphones on your laptop for some reason the computer still thinks that your headphones are still connected which results to the no sound issue on the speaker. the only way to fix this if for asus to take it and fix it.. sadly...

aeonracer

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
This is actually a driver issue. For some reason the G60VX comes with Creative HD sound driver installed in addition to the Realtek sound driver. Uninstall the Creative HD sound driver and everything will work perfectly.

Had my g60vx for several months now, and still loving the laptop for the price of admission.

squillaempusa

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011

try going to "sound" in the control panel, and under the "playback" tab, select "speakers", then click "set default" button at bottom right of window. the default might have been set to "hdmi", which will only allow sound to come out of an hdmi cable. i created a desktop shortcut so i can change out the sound default easily for when i want to run audio and video through my tv and stereo. good luck.

squillaempusa

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011

did you try going into the control panel> sound, and making sure default is set to "speakers", and not "hdmi" or "s/pdif ?

Status
Not open for further replies.