Solved! Are all 17" or larger notebooks loud and hot?

Georgia in MS

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I have an HP 8230 I want to replace. My main complaint is that it is loud when it is running any video (movies/online TV). You have to almost max the volume to get past the noise.

Also, when I'm working (with IE, FF, Word open), after about 30 minutes, it is so hot on the right side palm rest, that I have to put a pad or something in that spot to be able to rest my hand on it.

I've read reviews on some I'm looking at, particularly HPs, and they all have a comment about heat and noise.

Do all 17's run loud and hot? Am I going to have to go down to a 15 to 16 to get a quiet, cooler desktop replacement?

My work requires XP/IE7. I would like a laptop that comes with XP Pro installed with an upgrade to 7 Pro.

Solution
I have a gateway P-7908u that produces almost no noise or heat at all. It only gets warm under severe gaming loads and even then it's just warm, not hot. It's a 17".

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I have a gateway P-7908u that produces almost no noise or heat at all. It only gets warm under severe gaming loads and even then it's just warm, not hot. It's a 17".

Solution