Dell laptop core i7, ATI Mobility 5470 1 gb card. Ok for gaming?

Urnothere

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I'm buying a new laptop and there's a really great deal at Dell. It's a Core i7 quad core cpu, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hard drive, 15" monitor and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics card with 1 GB of ram for $1000. (http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-studio-1555/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-1555&s=dhs&cs=19&redirect=1) Is this going to be ok for gaming? I'm really looking forward to playing Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 when it comes out but I'm concerned because even though the graphics card has 1 gb of ram, I looked up some reviews and it seems to be a mediocre card. I'm not a big gamer but I don't want to spend all that money and find out that I can't really play games well on it.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I am sorry to say that this particular GFX card is not much better than the sesktop versions of onboard ATI cards. If you want to game on the laptop, you should consider at least GTX 260M and above or ati equivalent. However, for HD playback and multimedia, you will be fine. The processor is especially powerful..

Battletroll

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
This might help you out: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

I was looking at all the Dell laptops over the weekend and comparing video cards. The problem "I" see with all the Dell laptops is they are using low end cards. When I purchase a laptop I want to get something that will last for a few years since they are so difficult to upgrade. If you are looking for gaming look at the Alienware but they are pricy. I have seen several people recommend Sager (Something like that). I am trying to find a good barebone laptop I started a thread on an MSI whitebook version. Good luck in your hunting.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Look at ASUS and Toshiba Qosmio laptops. I've never ownder a Sager or known anyone who has, but what I've read about them seems good.