Arctic Sound P531 vs Creative Sigma

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I am trying to decide between these two pairs of headphones, both of which I can get for $50, and am having trouble deciding between the two. The Arctic Sound comes with a 2 year warranty, 5.1 true surround sound, and has fairly favorable reviews that it is pretty durable. The creative sigma has a one year warranty, was favored by Tom's Hardware as a recommended budget purchase in a recent post, has virtual surround sound (fake), but has somewhat mixed reviews with people apparently getting broken mics and broken headsets. The Sigma sports 50mm drivers while the Arctic uses a range of 27-40mm for each of it's speakers.

I am torn between the two. I hear the Sigma has great audio reproduction and quality, but the Arctic P531 seems to have more durability from the reviews I have read, and also sports true 5.1 surround sound, not to mention an extra year of warranty protection. Please help me out guys! I really need a headset soon but cannot decide on the two.

Sigma: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102037

P531: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826186002&Tpk=arctic%20p531

ddrambo

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I was in a similar 'boat', but at some point you just have to assume that you know you're so close to satisfaction regardless of which you choose that you just do it. I had to do the same thing when purchasing 'thermal paste, because there were so many disparate reviews by so many thoughtful, 'knowledgeable' groups of techies, and the same group of pastes kept bouncing around in the top 10, but in this case, the difference between each of them was much smaller, in fact, they were within a few degrees of each other.
I've had another 'true 5.1' set of headphones for years, so I'm familiar with the principle, but I've always wanted a better sounding set that included that cool sounding 'vibration' feature. Regarding the apparent advantages of having a set of 5.1 speakers on your head, which should sound as good or better than the 'actual' thing, I've read from a few sources that there's an advantage to the 'fake' surround sound because you can't truly simulate 5.1 with a couple of cans over your ears. I've yet to test this theory to any real extent since the 5.1 set I've had for years is the only gaming set that I've used, but I'd suggest that you consider this factor also. Besides, Newegg is great about their return policy, and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a refund if you really get disappointed in your 'first' choice.
By the way, I love these Arctic P531's so far, but they're a pita to adjust, as others have remarked.
Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS