What if i want just basic tv with no cable on my new tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

nora8151967

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hello,
I was wondering how i can get just basic tv on my new emerson hd tv? im tired of cable bills. it always winds upcosting more than they say each month

buy an antenna and you can get free HD local channels provided you have decent signal in your area.

or...

get a roku, sony or other streaming box. they require an internet connection but have lots of content free. i know the sony box supports local channels over internet.

You should be able to just connect an indoor antenna (rabbit ears) to your HDTV's ATSC (digital) connection. What channels you get will be determined by your location. Check out http://www.antennaweb.org/ to find out what channels are available to you.

-Wolf sends

SunshynSTL

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

Just so you know, the streaming devices do not provide access to ALL local channels; I have the ROKU with both HuluPlus and Netflix accounts. I cannot get any CBS shows at all; I can view them on my computer, but they are not available at all thru HuluPlus or Netflix via the ROKU device.

I am looking now for what I thought was just a converter box to view my local channels, but after a little research, I think I should be looking for an antenna...AND I think I will need a device for each television - an antenna (for my HDTVs) and a converter (for my older TVs) in order to view local channels...someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I got rid of Uverse because I don't watch $100+ of television each month. I paid $60 each for two ROKU boxes; a one-time fee, and I pay $7.99 per month each for Netflix and HuluPlus. When I decide which antenna and/or converter I need to watch local channels that will be an additional one-time cost...but in the long run, I will be paying about $16.00 a month for television!

@sunshynSTL

if you read my post i never stated that roku had access to local channels.

what i said was that both roku and other streaming boxes have access to lots of free content.

the only device i listed as having access to local channels is the one made by sony.

--

the device in question is a digital tv conversion box. due to the upgrade from analog to digital local channels older tuners are unable to view the free local broadcasts. you will need this box for older televisions but will not need it for new televisions which have a digital tuner already installed.

you will need an antenna as well. large outdoor antennas work best however in certain areas you may be able to make due with smaller indoor versions.

it sounds like you have at least 4 televisions. it doesnt make sense to buy equipment for all of them. of course this is up to you.

--

i agree, network television is garbage. networks charge so much for their content that providers have no choice but to have high prices. now, networks are finding out that services like netflix are cutting into profit margins instead of being a gain so may be rethinking their options. i know starz dropped netflix which may be why there is not as much new content. i expect there will be quite a change over the next few years as the market battles things out.

in any case, free content is widely available on the internet. a pc can view quite a bit more than a roku device but a roku is quite a bit cheaper for those without a computer or who do not have a way to connect the computer up to the tv like some of us do.

tvhelpplease

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Hi,
I have a new digital hd tv. I cant figure out how to get any channels on it. I have dish upstairs but have this in my basement which is just a playroom for my kids and to hang out with friends on occasion during bad weather. I dont go down often and dont want to pay for another box or to have the holes drilled and wires run. I went into my settings and selected "auto tuning" but still didnt 1 channel. A buddy of mine doesn't have cable at all, lives less than a mile from me and gets atleast 2 dozen channels. For example: he will get channel 18.1, 18.2 and 27.1 to name a few. Can you tell me what I need to do please.
Thank you

quotemsg=10617294,0,248892]@sunshynSTL

if you read my post i never stated that roku had access to local channels.

what i said was that both roku and other streaming boxes have access to lots of free content.

the only device i listed as having access to local channels is the one made by sony.

--

the device in question is a digital tv conversion box. due to the upgrade from analog to digital local channels older tuners are unable to view the free local broadcasts. you will need this box for older televisions but will not need it for new televisions which have a digital tuner already installed.

you will need an antenna as well. large outdoor antennas work best however in certain areas you may be able to make due with smaller indoor versions.

it sounds like you have at least 4 televisions. it doesnt make sense to buy equipment for all of them. of course this is up to you.

--

i agree, network television is garbage. networks charge so much for their content that providers have no choice but to have high prices. now, networks are finding out that services like netflix are cutting into profit margins instead of being a gain so may be rethinking their options. i know starz dropped netflix which may be why there is not as much new content. i expect there will be quite a change over the next few years as the market battles things out.

in any case, free content is widely available on the internet. a pc can view quite a bit more than a roku device but a roku is quite a bit cheaper for those without a computer or who do not have a way to connect the computer up to the tv like some of us do.[/quotemsg]

Status
Not open for further replies.