5.1 speaker center+rear+subwoofer doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemon2ade

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Hi,

I'm trying to use surround speaker with my laptop--not TV. I bought 5.1 JBL Surround Speaker and connected to Marantz Receiver. I used HDMI cord to connect to my laptop, but only the front left and front right speakers are working. (My central speaker, rear left and rear right speakers, subwoofers are not working).

Can anyone help? Here are the process I went through so far:

I am Windows 7 user.

1. I went to Control Panel
2. Hardware and Sound
3. Sound
4. clicked on mariantz-AVR (Configure)
5. 5.1 Surround for Audio channels.
6. Went through all speaker testings (front left and right, center, rear left and right, subwoofer)

When I tested my speakers through the speaker set-up, all 6 speakers (including the subwoofer) worked just fine. It made all the "ding-ga-dong" sound. I don't know how many times I've gone through this to make them all work.

Yet, when I played the movie Lord of the Rings, or any music through Windows Media Players or any different media programs, only the front left and right speakers worked.

For sub-woofer, I don't think it's working fine because when I increased the volume of the subwoofer, it increased the base from the front left and right speakers, but the sub woofer won't produce the sound directly.

Please help!!

Jacque_55

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Very similar story, same problem.

Sound works correctly in testing and on webbased input (youtube, radio's).
But both Media player and VLC fail to comply.

The same sound system ran fine yesterday, before I began a clean install of windows (7, x64).

My subwoofer is working, but rear/center aren't. Subwoofer started working when I opted for Bass Management.

Anthony Sandle

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I am having a similar problem, but with a tv (samsung ue b6000 changed in menu to b7000) pioneer surround sound amp, and a new samsung bd-e8900 bluray hdd combo. When I put a dvd in and play it, to begin with there is no sound except from front r/l. There's a simple goaround, which is to turn the amp off and back on after the disc has started and then everything works fine, but it's very irritating and I would like to know why it's happening. Did you have any luck finding out why your system doesn't work?

Isaac in Duluth MN

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
There's a lot of difficulties with this seemingly simple problem. I've solved it in my own system by using a separate subwoofer amplifier and splitting the audio signal from my computer to the amp and sub amp (making sure the sub amp is crossed over to subsonic frequencies). This causes difficulties in volume (because there's no remote for my sub!) but it now plays loud :D The other problem I mentioned is that when you hook your HDMI cable to a TV, and then try to get surround sound input to a reciever, the TV doesn't use surround signals at all and converts everything to stereo for output. again, I subvert the difficulty by bypassing the audio from the computer to multichannel surround sound output using multiple 1/8 inch jacks from the computers surround sound multichannel output to the multichannel input on the surround reciever. Hope this gives some people hope and great sound in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.