Question about HTs with only one HDMI input

ksio89

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I've been wondering to purchase a basic HT with Blu-ray support, HDMI ARC and whatnot, a Samsung HT-E3500.The issue is that it has only one HDMI input, actually labeled as "HDMI output".

Does that mean that I can only connect it to the HDMI input on a TV (which also has HDMI ARC support)?I mean, can't I output 5.1 audio through HDMI from a notebook? Thanks in advance.

Solution
the problem with many home theater in a box solutions is with connecting alternate input devices. most sound great and have zero issues with dvd/br/content played on the control box/dvd player but may have issues with other connected devices.

if it only has one hdmi port and it is one of the dvd/receiver types it is for outputing the image to the tv.

personally i dont suggest getting a htib setup unless you must and even then only if it is cheap. its a far better idea to buy your blue ray player, receiver and speaker systems seperate. you may spend a little more money but can normally avoid such issues.

or at the very least, get one which has multiple inputs such as the one klipsch makes which comes with a real receiver (if i...
the problem with many home theater in a box solutions is with connecting alternate input devices. most sound great and have zero issues with dvd/br/content played on the control box/dvd player but may have issues with other connected devices.

if it only has one hdmi port and it is one of the dvd/receiver types it is for outputing the image to the tv.

personally i dont suggest getting a htib setup unless you must and even then only if it is cheap. its a far better idea to buy your blue ray player, receiver and speaker systems seperate. you may spend a little more money but can normally avoid such issues.

or at the very least, get one which has multiple inputs such as the one klipsch makes which comes with a real receiver (if i remember correctly) not want of those crappy do-it-all boxes. its around $500 the last time i looked (granted its been awhile).

there are of course similar systems from other brands. best buy has at least 2 or 3 of these sets. go check them out. definitely better than typical HTIB sets.

Solution

ksio89

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Several thanks for the helpful info, mate, you just saved me from buying such junk.Yeah, a "HDMI out" is suspectful, I would like to plug my desktop GPU via HDMI with S/PDIF or notebook HDMI output, but it's just for outputting video to TV, not being able to receive audio from an external source other than Blu-ray/DVD discs or USB thumb drives.

Forgive my ignorance, but would a receiver be a "module" which houses several inputs and outputs (HDMI, USB, RCA etc) for connecting a PC, Blu-ray player or USB stick, for example, then amplifies audio and sends it to speakers?I'll look for a decent one, or at least a not-so-crappy HTIB with two or more HDMI inputs (being at least one "HDMI in").Thank you very much ; )

a receiver is basically a box which:
-has multiple inputs
-has one output, sometimes more
-has an amplifier to power speakers
-some take ipod inputs, mp3 inputs and usb input

it combines everything in one easy to use box. switching between inputs takes only seconds.

honestly i gave thought to purchasing models such as the one by klipsch for $500ish but ultimately ended up buying speakers, a sub and a seperate receiver from pioneer.

i would use hdmi out on your laptop and tower as hdmi can carry both audio and video (hence no need for spdif in this case).

ksio89

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

But are there 5.1 surround speakers only available for purchasing?That's my doubt.I could buy a receiver, but I don't think there will be 5 speakers plus a LFE unit available separately in my country, and I would have to purchase a Blu-ray unit separately too.A subwoofer is not hard to find and the price is affordable, but 5.1 surround speakers, I don't think so.Really don't know what to do right now, guess I have to search a little more.Thanks again for your help.

it would be 5.0 (the .1 refers to a subwoofer.)

yes.

http://www.google.com/search?q=boston+acoustics+5.0+set&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

http://www.google.com/search?q=klipsch+5.0+set&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

i personally own a klipsch quintet iv (2nd link) it comes with 4 speakers and a center speaker. i've seen the boston acoustics set (1st link) but havent heard much of it.

there are other sets as well. try typing into google "5.0 speaker set" and see what you come up with. you could also buy individual speakers from manufacturers. not all sell the sets in one box but most do have "matched speakers" generally 4 surround speakers and one center channel are what you want. i would go with the same brand subwoofer but this is not required. one thing to check is the input and output specifications on the speakers and receiver but unless you buy something large and outlandish you should be fine.

in countries without as much of a selection piecing the set together may be the best option. do try to match speakers as i said above however its not required.