Solved! Dell Inspirion Mini - Unmountable Boot Volume

G

Hello, I have a Dell laptop, with no CD or floppy disk input, and it has that damned Unmountable Boot Volume. I am no expert on computer and I hardly download or install anything on this tiny machine. I've searched everywhere for an answer, but to no avail. Can anyone please help me out?

Solution
I just had a lengthy chat session with Dell tech support over this same issue. My 7 year old son got a Dell mini for Christmas and all he uses it for is playing games and watching videos (transferred from our TiVo.) I also stored a bunch of photos of his birthday party, Christmas morning and his dog on it for him. In other words, we haven't installed any new hardware or software on it, so there is no reason it should have the blue screen of death.

But I digress, sorry. They are sending me a new hard drive (which I'm supposed to install myself...) Also, since they don't support data recovery, they told me to contact 'any local technician' to retrieve all the photos and videos stored on it. *sigh*

They also tried to get me to purchase...

statira

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I just had a lengthy chat session with Dell tech support over this same issue. My 7 year old son got a Dell mini for Christmas and all he uses it for is playing games and watching videos (transferred from our TiVo.) I also stored a bunch of photos of his birthday party, Christmas morning and his dog on it for him. In other words, we haven't installed any new hardware or software on it, so there is no reason it should have the blue screen of death.

But I digress, sorry. They are sending me a new hard drive (which I'm supposed to install myself...) Also, since they don't support data recovery, they told me to contact 'any local technician' to retrieve all the photos and videos stored on it. *sigh*

They also tried to get me to purchase an external CD/DVD drive because 'as this computer does not have any CD/DVD drive it sometimes acts as an hindrance/limitation'. Well, duh! That's why I contacted them in the first place! I don't get why they send the Windows recovery/boot disc in CD format when the computer cannot use it! It's frustrating! I mean, the thing is only 8 months old (and we paid for extra warranty time for it when it was purchased.) I don't think the hard drive should have crapped out this soon.

Bottom line...If you can beg, borrow or otherwise commandeer an external CD/DVD drive to connect to your USB port, that's the easiest solution. If not, contact Dell, but be prepared to install a new hard drive. Also, I'm pretty sure I'll have to send back the old hard drive w/in 10 days of receiving the new one (or pay for it.)

Solution

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hello, I have a Dell laptop, with no CD or floppy disk input, and it has that damned Unmountable Boot Volume. I am no expert on computer and I hardly download or install anything on this tiny machine. I've searched everywhere for an answer, but to no avail. Can anyone please help me out?

Sorry, but I don't seem to understand your question... what's the problem with your Mini, and what do you want it to do instead?