Need a fast laptop 400$

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishop113

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I don't expect to be able to play any games on this, but I need a fast laptop with windows 7-64 bit that can handle multiple browser windows and applications at once.

I've never bought a laptop in my life so I honestly don't know where to start, I've looked around on newegg but people are always giving bad reviews that end up scaring me away.

My maximum price is unfortunately 400$.

EDIT

I would like to be able to watch videos with this laptop and an internal wireless card would be preferred, photo editing is also something I would like to be able to do. Screen size doesn't matter a lot to me, I just want something I can sit on the couch and use for what I need to use it for until I can afford a new desktop PC.

Thanks.

Solution
You'll usually end up looking at 2 possible specs:

- An Intel dual-core machine with 4500HD as its video card

- An AMD dual-core machine with 3200, 4200 (or maybe even 4330) as its video card

In this day and age, a single core could choke up every now and then when you try to do a lot of things at once. In example, opening flash videos, opening word, while doing a background encoding task.

The 4500HD from Intel would severely limit the games you could play on it, but it has enough processing power to play HD videos. If you're a bit interested in gaming, then AMD would be the way to go, but AMD's latest turions run hotter than Intel counter-parts.

So if you're looking for an Internet surfing, document typing and HD video watching...
D

Deleted member 217926

You can find a laptop with that budget but do not expect any kind of powerhouse. That is the serious low end of the notebook price range. I would stay away from netbooks .....my niece has one and while it it fine for web browsing it is painful trying to do much anything else including any sort of multitasking.
I do not really know of one in particular to recommend at that price but some of these do not look too bad: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks

This one would be a good consideration: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115728 No powerhouse but it has a 2.2ghz dual core processor with 4Gb of RAM. Generally good reviews and on sale.

Another thing I might check out would be refurbished Dells. Normally I would not recommend a refurbished computer but a friend of mine had had several in a row with no problems and they have the same warranty as new and are generally quite a bit cheaper.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
You'll usually end up looking at 2 possible specs:

- An Intel dual-core machine with 4500HD as its video card

- An AMD dual-core machine with 3200, 4200 (or maybe even 4330) as its video card

In this day and age, a single core could choke up every now and then when you try to do a lot of things at once. In example, opening flash videos, opening word, while doing a background encoding task.

The 4500HD from Intel would severely limit the games you could play on it, but it has enough processing power to play HD videos. If you're a bit interested in gaming, then AMD would be the way to go, but AMD's latest turions run hotter than Intel counter-parts.

So if you're looking for an Internet surfing, document typing and HD video watching machine then an Intel machine would be suited to you. If you're a bit more interested in gaming, an AMD setup would be better.

* Sorry I couldn't point you to a specific machine.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.