Solved! Hard drive partition recommendation

shallcross

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I have a new Samsung N150 netbook (OS Windows 7 starter, 1GB memory, HDD 160.) The default recommendation for hard drive partitioning is 50/50 C/D drives. I have read various recommendations. Not sure what to do. NOT computer savvy. Any advice? Thanks.

Solution
All depends on user, do you want to save files, backup info? Then leave it 50/50. I am different from most but have been working with PC's for 20 years. I install games and music to my "backup" and copy over my documents for backup incase Windows somehow gets messed up and reinstall is required, this way music is not lost or copy of my documents. For most novice user it is recommended to keep it 50/50 so you can backup your profile using Windows backup and if something were to happen, the important files can be restored. You can get most stuff back nut those pictures and letter/resumes may not be as easy to recover so leave as is and read up on backup/restoring data.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
All depends on user, do you want to save files, backup info? Then leave it 50/50. I am different from most but have been working with PC's for 20 years. I install games and music to my "backup" and copy over my documents for backup incase Windows somehow gets messed up and reinstall is required, this way music is not lost or copy of my documents. For most novice user it is recommended to keep it 50/50 so you can backup your profile using Windows backup and if something were to happen, the important files can be restored. You can get most stuff back nut those pictures and letter/resumes may not be as easy to recover so leave as is and read up on backup/restoring data.

Solution

shallcross

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

Not sure how to do this. Hope this is a reply. Thanks for yours. What if I use an external hard drive for back-up? How does it affect performance if the HD is partitioned 50/50 for C/D. Are there better ratios? If so, which should have more C or D? Thank you.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Well again up to user, there is no improvement when changing ratio/size of partition. Only difference it would make is the smaller of the 2 partition would be faster to scan for Virii scans or disk defragmentation. Won't change speed because effectively it's the same physical drive, just that it was "cut" (partitioned) in half to give you an effective built in backup. If you want go with one large partition and by an external drive to store data and backups. I have 1 physical drive partitioned into 3 "Volumes" (C,D,E drive) and my hard drive is split 140Gb/250Gb/250GB = 640Gb drive. Windows, office and the apps I need like Nero, winamp plus more are installed on C drive, Games and Movies are installed on D drive and Mp3s and backup on E drive. That's what I do, but for those who are new to this are better off leaving it as one large drive or 50/50 like the company presets (namely for the restore image that is hidden on the backup partition in case you have a problem and need to reinstall Windows) When given the chance open Windows backup and restore and go to help and about and just read the help files, it will give tyou a basic understanding of Windows backup