Solved! Lap Top screen will go blank

scled1007

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Ok so here is my issue. I am trying to fix a HP g60 series lap top that was man handled by a baggage crew at an airport. Now every time it boots up into windows it will stay running for very long periods but will shut off when I increase the brightness (most of the time)or generally just shut off at random. You can see windows is still active, just with no back light. Like I said though it will stay on for hours and sometimes only minuets or seconds. An external monitor works 100% of the time. I thought I narrowed it down to the inverter board, but now I have second guesses. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Other things to note... I have the never power off when I shut the lid set and have tried purging the power by holding the power button down with no battery or ac plug.

Solution
Hello everybody!

I finally managed to solve my LCD problem after consulting every forum possible. I changed even the LCD inverter with a new one but this wasn't the problem. In the end I discovered that the sensor for the lid closing was the problem. I couldn't find anywhere this solution but I saw that some guys were confronted with this. so what you have to do is to check if it is dirty ( so clean it) or maybe broken (so change it). at my Toshiba satellite A 100-788 ( but i saw in the toshiba maintenance manual that also for A105 and tecra A7) this sensor is a little square on the usb circuit on the right side of the laptop. so you have to disassemble your laptop till you can find this little piece and try to clean it. this sensor...

scled1007

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Unless the bad connection is directly on the bulb, which I haven't inspected then no. What struck me was odd was the brightness bit, seemed like the more power it got would shut it down.

gabrieltiron

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hello everybody!

I finally managed to solve my LCD problem after consulting every forum possible. I changed even the LCD inverter with a new one but this wasn't the problem. In the end I discovered that the sensor for the lid closing was the problem. I couldn't find anywhere this solution but I saw that some guys were confronted with this. so what you have to do is to check if it is dirty ( so clean it) or maybe broken (so change it). at my Toshiba satellite A 100-788 ( but i saw in the toshiba maintenance manual that also for A105 and tecra A7) this sensor is a little square on the usb circuit on the right side of the laptop. so you have to disassemble your laptop till you can find this little piece and try to clean it. this sensor reacts to a little magnet in the superior part of the monitor. some other laptops don't have a sensor but a small button under the monitor. that was all. i was very happy that i didn't have to change neither the lcd or the mother board as the maintenance manual advice you.

Success and thank you!

Solution