Solved! Is dell 15.6 inch (1080p) Bright LED Display with TrueLife any good?

yoav

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Hello,

i had Dell XPS with WUXGA 1920x1200 LCD screen,it was an amazing screen.

i am buying a new dell and i just wanted to know how the
"15.6 Inch Full High Definition(1080p) High Brightness LED Display with TrueLife "
is ? compare to my old one.

tnx for helping.

Solution

I haven't gotten to mess around with a 1080p LCD on a laptop, but I feel like you really won't be missing all that much.

Yoav: What model Dell are you looking at? The Dell XPS 16 currently has one of the best laptop LCDs on the market: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2746/12

If it's the Studio 15 then this is what Notebook Review had to say:
The 15.6-inch high definition (1920x1080) panel on the Studio 15 rates fairly average with vibrant colors and excellent contrast. The display panel in our review unit appears to be an LG model (LGD020B). The LED backlighting in our...

I haven't gotten to mess around with a 1080p LCD on a laptop, but I feel like you really won't be missing all that much.

Yoav: What model Dell are you looking at? The Dell XPS 16 currently has one of the best laptop LCDs on the market: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2746/12

If it's the Studio 15 then this is what Notebook Review had to say:
The 15.6-inch high definition (1920x1080) panel on the Studio 15 rates fairly average with vibrant colors and excellent contrast. The display panel in our review unit appears to be an LG model (LGD020B). The LED backlighting in our review unit is nice and bright, but we did notice that the brightness was slightly uneven in the upper right corner of the screen. Yes, it is a 16:9 screen ratio, but this is starting to become standard for all notebooks and isn't really a problem when you've got a higher resolution panel like this one. Horizontal viewing angles are extremely good, so you won't have any trouble sharing a movie with a friend or two. Upper vertical viewing angles are above average since the colors don't wash out too much when viewed from above but colors begin to distort and invert as you move the screen back.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5114&review=dell+studio+15+1555

Solution

yoav

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
that was really a helpful information tnx a lot.

i bought yesterday the studio 1558 with the 1080P i had an amzing deal
900$ for the quad i7 and a realy good spec.

i hope i won't be disappointed with the screen, but i think the same spec on the xps 16
will cost me at least 300$ more.

I honestly don't think you will be. You might lose some rel-estate height wise, but it's not going to be something drastic. Just be aware that the True Life displays are glossy screens and you are going to get some glare in high light areas.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Out of these screens, Dell Studio 15 (for e.g.) and XPS 16 if compared to Asus, MSI, HP, Sony and Lenovo, which do you think has the best screen? If it's also LED, is it likely to be a better screen?

Screen quality is one of my priorities but I'm not sure which make and model ranks up there. I don't want to compromise on screen quality but might be willing to on resolution as I would like a 13" or 14" screen. However, if I have to go to 15" or 16" for a better screen, I might have to. However, can I get a good screen at the smaller screens and at a lower res, too? I just can't find many laptops higher than 1366x768 especially if it's a 13" or 14" version.

Comments? I think there's some Dells with 13" and 14" screens but maybe they don't have the higher quality like the XPS 16????

That's a lot of companies to compare, especially when the screens will vary between the models. For example, Dell uses screens from Samsung and LG and probably some other manufacturers. Though Sony's are supposed to have some good displays as well.

LED screens tend to give better color accuracy and better pictures. As I stated before, the Dell XPS 16 has one of the best LED screens on the market:
Yes, the RGB LED panel in the Studio XPS 16 is that good. In a word: wow! This may be as good as it gets in the world of laptop LCDs until OLEDs become mainstream. If you're like me and have been repeatedly disappointed with lackluster laptop displays, the Studio XPS 16 may finally restore your faith in humanity. This is change that even I can believe in!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2746/13

I think your better quality displays tend to be on the larger laptops. Most of the 15-17'' laptops are used to replace people's desktops, so the focus is on the ability to view movies and photos with good quality.

I don't have the most experience in the are of LCDs, so someone with more knowledge, feel free to step in.