PAL laptop or Power converter suggestion

wellsistvan

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
Hi everyone!

I apologize if i'm didn't write in the correct forum!

But I have guestions for you fine people and I hope to get some answers :)
I have a brother leaving in the USA, and his going to buy me a laptop and send it to me. Probably off of newegg.com but that's not decided yet. The reason i'm having him buy it is, because its waay cheaper to get it there, then here..sometimes the same laptop costs 2 or 3 times more here. Anywys, My guestions,

#1 is there such thing is "PAL" laptop? meaning the power adapter is "already" set to work in Europe, particularly in Hungary. ***buying from USA.

#2 If the answer is no to #1, Has any of you have done this?buying a laptop in USA, and bringing it over to Europe?

#3 If yes to #2, what converter are you using?can you guys suggest me any good, yet cheap one?

I'm trying to decide to buy a laptop "this" way, like mentioned above, or buy a big resolution projector for the WC.

Please leave your comments, suggestions, ideas! Thank you!

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
PAL is a TV display standard and has nothing to do with the power connection.

That being said, laptops come with a universal power supply meaning that it will detect the input voltage and convert accordingly. The only thing you need to buy is a new power cord that will replace the one between the wall outlet and the transformer pack. Or you could use a power plug converter for the outlet to plug in the US power plug.

I have never tried to connect a laptop to a European TV, hence I not sure if you need a converter for that.

wellsistvan

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010

thanks for reply

Sorry about the PAL thing, wasn't sure about it thanks for clearing that up for me. Anyways, That sounds like a "cheaper" solution then buying it here, so thats awesome! Would you suggest me a power plug converter?

btw, i'm trying to get a laptop from the USA to Europe. So thats the kind of power converter i'd need.