When is a good time to buy a 4K TV???

azed3000

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
As the name suggested, i went to a store today to look for a 3D tv, but noticed the new 4K tv, which looked so awesome, 1080p looks like SD compared to the 4k. And it wasnt even native 4k, it was just an up-scaled 1080p bluray displaying at 4k. The remote was in the form of a tablet, had amazing 3D technology as well. Only turn off was the fact that it costs more than my car, 20,000 dollars. I have decided not to purchase another TV until the 4K resolution TV actually starts providing a bigger variety, they only supplied 80inch which is too big, 55inch is enough and that would be much cheaper as well.

So what im asking is, do you reckon its worth the wait to buy a 3D 4k tv? Around 6-8 months of waiting? ATM i have a 1080p 46inch tv, does the job very nicely. Or would 1080p at 3D be sufficient. Would i notice any difference between 1080p and 4k on a 55inch screen? Since obviously 80inch screen i could notice the difference compared to a 75inch screen that was next to it which was 1080p.

Solution
4K is still quite a ways off from being mainstream, if it ever gets there. First off there is really no 4K content available, considering all current media only goes up to 1080. And unless the screen is 60 inches or larger I don't think you'll notice a difference between 4k and 1080, its more intended for massive screens.

So unless you have an enormous disposable income, there are better things to spend money on (sound system, cough)

azed3000

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Just did some research, a few articles say its useless getting a 3D 4K tv below 70inch due to the fact that the human eye wont be able to notice much difference. Only variation is the contrast ratio and the 3D quality. It would be good to have a 4k though

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
4K is still quite a ways off from being mainstream, if it ever gets there. First off there is really no 4K content available, considering all current media only goes up to 1080. And unless the screen is 60 inches or larger I don't think you'll notice a difference between 4k and 1080, its more intended for massive screens.

So unless you have an enormous disposable income, there are better things to spend money on (sound system, cough)

Solution

azed3000

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Yea thats exactly what i was thinking, but dont you reckon a 4k resolution would do better at giving better 3D quality? Most of the 4k Tvs' upscale the content to 4k, ontop of that content such as PC games can be played at this resolution, next gen consoles might as well. Anyways thats just me thinking pro's and con's. But yea i reckon its going to be a while till 4k is mainstream, i never heard of it till yesterday.

Haha as for the sound system, i already invested in one =p I just thought it was time for a TV upgrade since the last time we purchased one was back in 2007 when 1080p was still new.