Suggestions for tv speakers +remote +headphone jack

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Hi everybody,
And Happy New Year !

I'm looking for suggestions for an amplified speaker set to hook up to our television (Toshiba 40sl412u).

Apart from its own speakers, the tv comes with a double RCA analog audio out, which cannot be controlled via the tv's remote control; and there is no headphone out.
The lack of headphones is particularly annoying : Especially since the tv is hooked up to the pc for games, DVDs, and internet videos; and we like to use headphones when we don't want to annoy each other (or wake up the baby !).
As it is, I use headphones that are hooked to the pc via a small audio console. But that's fairly cumbersome, as the headphone cable must stretch across the living room, from the pc to the couch. Which also means that I must control the volume through the pc's keyboard. We manage like this as it is, but I'd like to find a better solution.

To remedy these shortcomings, I thought I should buy a speaker set which would come with its own remote control, as well as come with a headphone out; and hook the whole thing to the tv's analog out. And then plug one of the pc's out to the tv's digital audio in.
I'm not into buying a whole amplifier + speakers, because I already have one for radio and music; though it's not remote controlled. And I'm not into the idea of wireless headphones.

I'm not looking for anything very expensive : just a 2.0 or 2.1 system will do (we're in a rather small apartment anyway, plus we're on a tight budget).

If anybody can suggest brands and models -- or possibly other solutions -- to help me, I'd greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You might want to increase your budget to get one wireless remote. Thing is, manufacturer won't include a remote unless the equipment cost is over $50.

Check the Eagle Arion 2.1 Soundstage Speakers w/Subwoofer & Remote. Check the review here. http://www.overclockersonline.net/reviews/eagle-arion-et-ar508lr-bk-2-1-soundstage-speakers-2/

Check a mini system at that price range as well.

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
(Answering my own question...)

Here's one that's quite affordable : Logitech Z313.
The control is not quite "remote" (6' cable, from what I gather, which is enough to go from my tv set to the couch), but it does have a headphone out. On the whole it seems interesting.
http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/speaker-system-z313

I'll keep looking, and waiting for suggestions, before I go out to test the sound in stores.

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Finally, the Logitech set won't do : The remote is not only attached to the sub-woofer, but a second cable runs from it and ends with the jack that would plug into the tv... Too cumbersome.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You might want to increase your budget to get one wireless remote. Thing is, manufacturer won't include a remote unless the equipment cost is over $50.

Check the Eagle Arion 2.1 Soundstage Speakers w/Subwoofer & Remote. Check the review here. http://www.overclockersonline.net/reviews/eagle-arion-et-ar508lr-bk-2-1-soundstage-speakers-2/

Check a mini system at that price range as well.

Solution

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Thanks Rexter,

The review is interesting. And so is the price (120$ CAD). I'll see if I can find a store around here that sells this brand.

sooii

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
You might want to increase your budget to get one wireless remote.
g.gif

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Hi,

Not exactly sure what you mean...

In any case, I guess I do have my answer : There are amp systems /w remote that go for about as low as 120$. So I'll shop around for one of those, starting with the one Rexter suggested.
(I know I'm being really cheap here, but we really do have to limit our budget these days. I'll just wait for an opportunity to buy something better when things get better financially if I'm not happy then.)

Thanks !