Cannot powerup laptop but get led lights

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I have an HP dv9500t laptop my problems started with a grey screen at bootup. I got a replacement motherboard, installed it and now have this issue.

The motherboard that i replaced the original with is a little different than the original in that it doesn't have the 256 video memory chip built on, but hp confirmed that my board would work

When i tried to power up the first time i replaced the motherboard, when i plug the laptop in, all the blue led lights come on.

But............When i press power.... nothing happens.

When I plug the laptop in, should all of the leds be on? I thought there should not be any leds on except the blue ring around the dc jack until the power switch is depressed?

Everything was connected properly as i double checked.

What could be the causing it not to power up?

The original problem, the laptop would at least power on and bootup, it just had a grey screen, now it won't power up at all with the replacement board

I had a computer repairman i talked to on the phone tell me that he's sure it's the battery or the power adapter.

But i've tried 2 different power cords and have the same issue so i don't think it's the cord.

as far as the battery goes, this is a 2007 laptop and the battery has never been replaced, mostly because i never used it. I always kept the laptop plugged in so i never noticed any problems with the battery.

But i've now been trying to fix this laptop for more than 3 weeks and the battery has been out of the laptop sitting, so when i finally got the laptop back together and tried to fire it up, could the battery have been deleted of charge and now be drained to the point it won't recharge?

So I think my problem is either the battery, the power button board, or the cables/ribbon hooked into it.

Help is desperately needed, thanks for any advice!

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Sounds like the board you got in is bad,

From my Experience with the DV6 DV9 and DV2 series, they are all bad.

In my shop i get about 2 or 3 of these in a day.

This issues is the GHX chip on the motherboard made by nvidia. They used a cheap solder and the chip runs to hot.

Try replacing the board again if you want, but my advice is count your losses and get a new machine, becuase it will happen again even if you put a new board in.

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hey copenhagenlc,

thanks for the advice.

This actually is the 2nd motherboard that i have tried and i get the exact same results. I talked to the company i bought the motherboard from to send me another as they had a warranty on it.

They claim that it's supposed to work, so they sent me another and i get the exact same results. I haven't gotten it to boot up/power up even once.

i'm going to try to reverse engineer it and put the original board back in and see if i can at least get it to power up with the grey screen. If so...then I'll be able to eliminate the power source, cables, etc.

it's pretty hard to put the chip in incorrectly, right?

maybe I'll check that as well.

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I just put the original mobo back in and now I'm getting the same results as the other 2 motherboards. Just like i mentioned above.

i did notice something though....when i plug the battery into the bottom of the laptop, then all of the led lights come on. Regardless of whether or not the power adapter cord is plugged in.

could this be pointing to a bad battery?