ASUS G73JH BENCHMARK ATI 5870 Mobility

steele_22

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Okay guys today i just opened up my new Asus G73JH i wanted to share some info on it and benchmarks. it is the 6GB with a 500GB HDD and Intel i7 1.6GHZ with turbo boost 2.8 GHZ, ATI 5870 mobility model picked up from Best Buy for 1199.00. First off after opening the box up you realize a bad ass laptop is all you are getting and nothing else. No sofeware roms or windows 7 rom. it also includes a half ass user guide. if you want the full user guide go to the Asus website thats also where you can fine drivers. None the less it comes with Asus Backup. so about 3 DVD roms and 1.5 hours later i was backed up and running. Ok on to the features .... My favorite part is the chicklet keyboard with back light. On the keyboard there are three setting for the light you could say LOW MED HIGH lighting. the entire unit is incased in a thin rubber layer feels sturdy and strong, not cheap and like it will peel. in the pictures of the Asus G73JH i really didnt like the looks but bang for buck it was a steal, but in person i am very pleased with the workmanship and looks, and feel. i ran 3dmark06 and here are the stats

3dmark06

1600x900 4xAA = 10369

1600x900 No AA = 12047

1024x768 No AA = 13108

Crysis with patch 1.2 (not warhead)

1600x900 4xAA settings on HIGH = FPS low 26 high 35

1600x900 NoAA settings on high = FPS low 36 high 50

in all my test i did on Crysis 1.2 you can easily play the game even in high detail with 4AA on HIGH settings @ 1600x900 res

The other fact is The ATI 5870 Mobility is the fastest non SLI/Crossfire GPU Ranked #6 on notebook check only to be beaten by SLI/Crossfire setups

here is the link http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870.23073.0.html

christophmcchris

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Would you say, ASUS G73JH, is the best Gaming Laptop for the money from what you were able to see at BestBuy?

I ask because This laptop has been a top contender for one I might possibly purchase.

steele_22

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Yes i was looking at a Dell XPS 16 for more money and less power.... did a lot of research and the same Alienware model runs about 2500+ tax shipping. Bang for buck its the best gaming laptop for the money...

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hi Steele_22

Congrats on your Asus machine! I have the same one except with dual 500 gig hard drives, 1080P monitor and 8GB of ram.

The machine is excellent! I love the quality.

I just finished doing a test with PC Mark VANTAGE - (free version can only do 1024x768) and I got a score of about ~6300 (Anandtech has an excellent article about the ASUS G73JH model)

I also tried playing crysis...at full 1920 x 1080P on ULTRA settings and the game works good! I notice a wee bit of a lag when playing at that resolution but it's tolerable. A few hiccups here and there (especially when I first start the game) but after showing on screen say an explosion...it won't lag after that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3662/asus-g73jha2-affordable-xlsized-gaming

Theres the link for the full review, I reccomend reading it for anyone considering this laptop!

Take care.

Please don't post your email in forums,i edited your post.
If anyone has any questions,they can ask you here or via a PM

steele_22

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

Hey i do have one question though... My Turbo button gives me less FPS in Crysis and a Lower score in 3dmark06 when in turbo mode. I looked and it is oc my cpu when on but for some reason i lose 3-5 fps in Crysis and a 3dmark06 score is less by very little, but its still less. Do you know why?

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hi Steele,

Not too sure, but i've read some reports online that the Asus turbo thingy (I don't have my laptop with me at the moment) may actually decrease performance slightly due to the fact it's trying to switch between quad core at 1.6 at dual core at 2.53 Ghz (with 2 cores parked). I know Crysis is multi threaded so this could possibly be the cause. I am not 100% certain so take that with a grain of salt. I would have to say the quad core at 1.6 would be much better with games than 2 cores parked and the other 2 at a speed of 2.53 ghz.

Kronos_15

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hey Guys I bought this same model a few months ago and I expected this laptop to play World of Warcraft with no problem on ultra. Unfortunately, I have a lot of trouble with my FPS when I play with settings maxed. I have done a lot of searching and cant find anything conclusive. anyone know what i could do? or did I just expect too much from my laptop?

steele_22

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
The big cities are what stop you from playing on ultra due to user population. Personally I did not notice a difference with my settings on high and tweaking a few of the high settings. Also you'll have to google this cause I am not 100% sure, but there is a way to enable quad core support with wow that should help. Leave turbo button off ok. It only overclocks a single core so turbo off all my benchmarks had higher results gaming. In single threaded applications it's ok to have it on. Try to enable all cores on wow via a configuration file (google it) if not better results try tweaking the in game options. Trust me wow looks great on this rig.