Laptop Suggestion - 1000$ +/-

Racush

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hello there,

Following the (very) inviting proposal of getting a laptop suggestion from you guys, I'd like to seize the chance and fill out the sticky with it's Laptop suggestion template:

1_What is your budget?

My budgets, as the title suggests, is around 1k, I might invest more if such a need arises.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14-15, preferably 14.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Native 720p should suffice I believe, I'd prefer a 16:10 ratio though.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Laptop. (coincidentally :p)

5_How much battery life do you need?

6 Cells seem enough; however, if the price does not differ greatly I'd prefer 8/9.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Frankly, I don't need it to play Crysis 2 set at ultra; I'd like to be able to play most games on medium settings.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

General usage includes web browsing/multimedia/reading but I do game from time to time and I tend to multitask with countless windows simultaneously.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

320/500 Base, everything else is on the NAS.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

6 Years, no less, no more. (Medical degree =|)

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD/DL, nothing more.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't have any prejudice for any brand. However I would like it to be a solid computer (case-wise, metallic is best) and not burn my eyes with extra-reflecting piano-black plastic. (Like on some Toshiba laptops I've seen.)

13_What country do you live in?

Planning to puchase in the US.
14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I hope this can help people to better find their ideal notebook.

Racush

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the welcoming and the quick response.

I'll try and be a bit more clear on this post:
I absolutely, in no way will accept the cheap "glossy" plastic casing of the laptop - it is of great importance to have a durable reliable computer. (unless it's just the image on new egg).
Also, I'd prefer an i5 processor, and if possible, a 14" screen.
Thanks in advance.

Sorry i didn't see the word glossy at first.
I couldn't find any 14 or 15" laptops with Anti glare displays with Core i5 and a good VGA in that price range.
All i could find was some Lenovo anti glare laptops which hall had Intel 4500MHD.
You can get an Core i5 laptop with an anti glare LCD but don't expect to run games well on it(because of having a 4500MHD)

Racush

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for replying.

I've found this one but it seems to be sold-out.
Just to get the general idea - if anyone can think of anything similar to the link provided below, please do comment (i5, 330M, 14", NOT GLOSSY!):
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VAIO-VPCCW26FX-14-Notebook/dp/B0035JCKG0