Solved! Help me choose an i7 1080p laptop!

maxh2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I need a new laptop. I'll be using it fairly heavily for CAD (Solidworks) and some multimedia but not much gaming. I'm close to deciding on the Dell Studio XPS 16 with i7-820QM, 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ram, 1GB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670, but have also looked at the Dell Studio 17 w/ i7-720QM and same ATI graphics card, and HP's dv8t quad edition. I'll probably go with one of the refurbs people have for sale on ebay for the cheaper price and the fact that that's the only way to currently get one of the Studio 17's with a 1080p display.

What are your suggestions? Are there any other good candidates? I'm open to other models/configs, but I won't budge on the 1080p display unless it's for a 1920x1200. How do you think Solidworks would run on the Studio XPS 16 I outlined above?

Solution
I would go for XPS 16 because the specs of all those laptops is pretty much the same with the exception that XPS 16 has a slightly faster CPU,also in terms of display quality,XPS 16 is better than both of them

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I would agree with Maziar.

The XPS 16 currently has an excellent LCD and near the top for displays for laptops.

Also if you don't game, you might want to look into getting a laptop with a FIREGL or a QUADDRO graphics card. They are meant for such things as MAYA and CAD (and not gaming).

TRENDING THREADS