Solved! Need help buying a laptop 800-1000$

senvae

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hey people,

I build my own desktops but my current laptop blows big time. I have little experience with laptops and the upgrade possibilities aren't good enough for me. So if anyone is willing to brag about an awesome find online, or any models they see, let me know. As one of the stickies in this forum suggested, I will answer the suggested questions.

1_What is your budget? I want a cap of approx 1000$ Canadian, but don't let that stop you from showing me an amazing laptop that would be slightly over, as long as its awesome deal.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I would love to get a screen of 16" or more.

3_What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't matter, but with a 16"+ screen I would love to have 720p or above capacities.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? It would be pretty hard to beat my desktop with a laptop, since I already have a gaming machine, I am looking for something more work functional. It's for a small business and writing texts. I prefer dedicated graphics though.

5_How much battery life do you need? Not too fussy here, I plug my laptop in all the time. If a laptop has a fantastic battery life I suppose I would enjoy doing some of my writings in the park. So let me know if you find a solution to that.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Not really interested.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) I might use it to watch movies, no editing.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? Not fussy here either, I would rather have a speedy 160Gb than a 5400 500Gb+. I want my lappy to start fast if possible.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I like buying from Tigerdirect.ca, NCIX.com, but Newegg looks good too. I am open to new suggestions though.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2years +

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I do buy Blu Ray for my main PC, but DVD would be good enough if it keeps the price down.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like Asus and their graphite look for some of the lappy they sell, like the K61IC-x3 which is sadly no longer available according to most websites. I bought that K61IC-x3 for my mother at xmas and I loved the way it looked and how cool it ran. I don't want a laptop that will burn my thighs when I use it. My current laptop is a Toshiba and I hate it. I like something that looks cool on the outside too. I love those red Samsung computers but the screens are just atrociously small for the price. Sony had some interesting deals last xmas when I was shopping for my mother, so let me know if they have good deals going on. I want to stay away from Acer since I've been told they are bad by people who learned it the hard way.

13_What country do you live in? Canada eh!

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. I want to point out that exterior looks matter a little bit, but I mostly want something that will boot fast and stay fast, especially since I will mostly be using it for writing my novel and short stories, I find it pathetic that the Toshiba l300D 01q I got last year is already a slow piece of junk considering I barely used it. Some moron thought it would be funny to manufacture a laptop for Vista with 1gig of 667mhz ram, talk about FAIL!!

No go out there and find me a laptop!! The winner gets a gold star sticker and my undying approval, WOW what a bargain!!!

senvae

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
The X1 model seems to also boast a 7200rpm speed for the harddrive... perhaps I should spend the extra 100$ for those small upgrades.

I kinda like the choco-brown look of the A1 but the faster harddrive on the X1 would upgrade the speed of most applications.

Both good suggestions, I actually had the A1 bookmarked before I posted this thread but I wasn't too convinced yet.

Edit: Actually it looks like the X1 has that graphite look that I loved so much from the Asus K61IC X3. But I love that 17.3" screen on the K72.