Asus G73JH Republic of Gamers vs. Sager NP8120

ua10d2me

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I am wondering which one of these laptops is better for your money since the prices of the two are very far apart:

1)Asus G73JH Republic of Gamers (roughly $3800 USD)
CPU: i7 - 920XM Processor Extreme Edition
GPU: ATI Mobitlity Radeon HD5870 with 1GB GDDR5
Memory: 8GB DDR3/1333MHz
RAID: Not Raid Capable
HHD Total Capacity: 1.5TB

2)SagerNP8120(roughly $4500 USD)
CPU: i7-920XM Processor Extreme Edition
GPU: Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 285M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory in SLI Mode
Memory: 8GB DDR3/1333MHz
RAID: Raid 0/1
HDD Total Capacity: 1.5TB

Also, i have found both of these laptops being sold by different companies and at completely different prices.... should i go with the company that sells it the cheapest or is there companies i should avoid?

One more thing, what is the Upgradeability for both of these laptops.

Solution
What are you looking for in a laptop? What will be your main uses for? Where are you willing to purchase a laptop from?? We need some more information to help you out and possibly save some $$$$.

Also those laptops aren't necessarily "portable" laptops, more like desktop replacements. They are quite large - so are you looking for a desktop replacement or a portable beefy yet not quite desktop replacement computer?

Maziar posted an excellent post on what your looking for in laptops (This is Maziar's so I take NO CREDIT for this):

His original thread is here

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop

Please fill this out

1_What is your budget?

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering...

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Holy cow. 3800USD for the Asus laptop? Are you from North America or from somewhere else? Also looks like both of those laptops use the extreme edition processor. That to me is highly unnecessary as they are both Quad cores with Hyperthreading so it looks like there is 8 processors. You might want to save the cash from the extreme edition processor and clock down to the I7 720 or 8XX.

If you're plunking that much cash down you might want to look into something possibly better. That is unless you live in a place where technology is extremely expensive.

I currently own the Asus laptop (without the extreme edition processor, mines the core I7 720) and I think the only things that you can upgrade are:

Processor

RAM

video card (I;m pretty sure the video card can use what's called the MXM3.0b connector)

I'm not sure about the Sager though.

ua10d2me

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
although from what i can tell... there are several different companies to buy either the sager or the asus from it is just a matter of finding the company that sells the cheapest and still has good customer support/warranty. and i think i wrote that in wrong. the asus was roughly 4500 USD....which doesn't make much difference though.

I was looking at these to laptops cuz i thought they were the best/portable.... is there anything better?

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
What are you looking for in a laptop? What will be your main uses for? Where are you willing to purchase a laptop from?? We need some more information to help you out and possibly save some $$$$.

Also those laptops aren't necessarily "portable" laptops, more like desktop replacements. They are quite large - so are you looking for a desktop replacement or a portable beefy yet not quite desktop replacement computer?

Maziar posted an excellent post on what your looking for in laptops (This is Maziar's so I take NO CREDIT for this):

His original thread is here

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop

Please fill this out

1_What is your budget?

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

3_What screen resolution do you want?

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

5_How much battery life do you need?

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in?

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I hope this can help people to better find their ideal notebook.

FAQ Discussion Thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50782-35-laptop-faqs

Additionally... you should also consider what support options are available in your area. If say you buy something abroad, will you be able to have it fixed near where you live? Does the warranty apply? How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops?

Solution

I don't know where are you getting such high prices for those 2 machines but check www.xoticpc.com

Look at the configs he listed at the top of the page. He wants to add:
1) Intel i7-920XM + $1105
2) 8gb DDR3-1333 +$235 <-----this is pretty pointless btw
3) 1.5 TB of HDD space 1 tb drive plus 500gb drive + $195

Total upgrades: $1535
Final Price: $3180 (not sure where the other $620 is coming from though)

edit: Even with the x8100, I'm only getting $3800. Not sure where his numbers are coming from. Both my prices are off XoticPC

ua10d2me

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
lol wow.... for the corretion on the price of the asus it was actually around 3300( that was adding the blu-ray reader)...sorry bout that.

for the sager... that price came directly from sagernotebooks.

I'm still only getting $3900 off of Sager's site....

Sager.jpg

ua10d2me

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
1_What is your budget?

No more then $4500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

18.4 inch

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?

not really an issue

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

all games would be on high. Battlefield 2/2142, rpg's/mmorpg's, WoW, etc...

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watching movies, Various engineering applications.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

over 500Gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

www.xoticpc.com
www.powernotebooks.com
www.pctorque.com
www.pugetsystems.com
www.lpc-digital.com

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

forever...

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

4x Blu-Ray Reader/8x Super Multi Combo Drive (blu-ray desirable but not necessary)

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

not really against any brands. i do usually prefer looking into products from more well known companies that way i know what im getting.

13_What country do you live in?

USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I will not be getting this laptop for over a year so the full extent of what i will be using it for is unknown nor is the amount of hdd capacity i will need.