64-bit color on Samsung HDTV?

schizandra

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I am trying to use a Samsung 32 inch HDTV (model UN321eh4000f) as a monitor. I have Windows 7 64-bit, and my components are fully capable of running a 64 bit system. However, when I enter the control panel for my GPU (Geforce GTX 670), I am unable to change the color depth to 64-bit. My only 2 options are 16-bit and 32-bit. Is this due to my HDTV not being able to handle 64-bit color depth?

i do not believe the two are not linked as simply as you imply.

while i'm not completely sure about the differences between windows 32 bit (x86) and windows 64 bit (x64) i do know 64 bit allows the system to use more ram and affects the processor in some manner.

the difference between color bit depth determines the maximum possible amount of colors which can be displayed. the higher the bit depth the more possible colors.

read:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

while very confusing i believe this comes down to about 8-10 bits per color for 32 bit color depth. current monitors are rated at 6bit (tn,va,e-ips), 8bit (s-ips,p-ips) and 10bit (h-ips) which makes sense.

short answer:

do not worry about it. 32 bit is fine.

glockshna

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
To put it simply, 64 bit color does not exist in the sense you're talking about.

Building a system which runs on a 64 bit Operating system has no effect on color depth. 64 bit operating systems simply take advantage of larger amounts of ram along with a few other things none of which have to do with your display or color depth.