Solved! $750 Laptop

Black O_o

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hey everybody. I'm looking for a laptop that has the requirements below. I have $750 right now, and I'm wondering if I could get something around there, or if I should save up a few hundreds more.

1_What is your budget? $750 to possibly $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15-17 inch

3_What screen resolution do you want? More is better, but doesn't really matter.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement. Portability doesn't matter.

5_How much battery life do you need? Around 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Starcraft 2 ( I know it's not out) - High

World of Warcraft and other MMORPGs - High

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watching movies & streaming music. Multitasking is a priority.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Around 250 GBs.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

A long time.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in?

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution
I've heard some good things about that Gateway as well. I think it's a good option for you. Check out how much replacement batteries cost for this unit before you purchase though!

Don't forget that you get a free express upgrade to Windows 7 since the PC would be purchased after the June 2009 date. It's very easy to upgrade and totally worth it.

Looks like this item is sold out on Tigerdirect. Hopefully it will come back into stock soon for you.

Personally, I like ASUS and Lenovo laptops for their build quality. Try to stay away from HP and Dell laptops at all costs.

If you wanted to stay close to your budget- check out the Lenovo G550 (on sale until April 22nd for $670.) Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3, Windows 7 x64 bit. Don't forget about...

Black O_o

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks for your response. That actually looks really good for the price, but I heard that it has a really small resolution that makes using it a pain. I found the Gateway P-7805u FX that I've heard really good things about at only $850 at TigerDirect. Despite having a Core 2 Duo, I've read it can handle modern games really well. The main disadvantage is that it has Vista, but I can live with that and I'll upgrade if it really bugs me.

Gateway P-7805u FX

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I second the Gateway p7805u FX!

I'm actually on one right now ;)

FYI it easily passes the requirements starcraft 2/WoW so you should NO problem whatsoever playing those games at higher settings.

I play games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2 (Max Settings), and Counter-strike: Source (Max Settings = 150+ FPS) on mine.

Good luck and if you decide to get this beast you won't regret it. ;)

dustyred14

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I've heard some good things about that Gateway as well. I think it's a good option for you. Check out how much replacement batteries cost for this unit before you purchase though!

Don't forget that you get a free express upgrade to Windows 7 since the PC would be purchased after the June 2009 date. It's very easy to upgrade and totally worth it.

Looks like this item is sold out on Tigerdirect. Hopefully it will come back into stock soon for you.

Personally, I like ASUS and Lenovo laptops for their build quality. Try to stay away from HP and Dell laptops at all costs.

If you wanted to stay close to your budget- check out the Lenovo G550 (on sale until April 22nd for $670.) Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3, Windows 7 x64 bit. Don't forget about the superior Lenovo engineering with solid steel hinges, keyboard spill channels and the ultranav touchpads. I never thought to look at Lenovos until we had to find a better low cost option then Dell would give us (Volstro's were terrible!) I think they've come a long way, and although we have the more business oriented ThinkPads, I've heard that all of their laptops are great. The only problem is, if you're in the market for a lot of power, you may not be able to find it with Lenovo.

That being said, the IdeaPad Y550p (also on sale for $950) comes with the Core-i5, a 1GB GeForce GT 240M, 4GB DDR3, Win 7 x64 bit, 500GB HDD and an LED-backlit display with a decent resolution. Damn this thing looks nice.

Anyway, apart from my suggestion to take a look at Lenovos as well, ASUS laptops tend to be more solid then the competition as well- however, they're a little harder to find in some places around the globe. Newegg sells a lot of ASUS models, they just tend to be a little expensive. I think they're totally worth it for their quality though. They also come with the best warranty- 2 years manufacturer's warranty and a free year of accidental protection! Check these out too!

Solution