Solved! Gaming Laptop

Rejexted

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Greetings Internet,

As I speak, I have $525. Right now, all I have for a gaming laptop is an IBM R52, so basically anything is an upgrade. Basically what I want to know is how much more should I save up for a laptop that can handle gaming. Basically, when does the increase of performance per dollar start to get lower and lower, until I'd just be spending money on a bunch of really high-end stuff that I wouldn't need. Wherever I buy it from, it is imperative to have a warranty, I never buy anything that expensive without one. So, if y'all could get back with your ideas of a really good gaming laptop that hits high performance without breaking the bank, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-Rejexted

Rejexted

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
1_What is your budget?
-Around $1k

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
-doesn't matter

3_What screen resolution do you want?
-doesn't matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
-desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?
-doesn't matter

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
-Second Life - High
-World of Warcraft - High

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
-Watch Movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
-At least 500 GB, but I could drop to 250 GB if it lowers the price drasticly

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-No

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
-Ages

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
-DVD ROM/Writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-Apple, because they don't have as much product support

13_What country do you live in?
-Contiguous USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-Must have a warranty

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Gateway FX p7805u...May be a couple years old but I still love mine and it can play any game you throw at it.

Currently playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2

CPU: Core 2 duo at 2.26 Ghz (Mine runs around 2.4)
Graphics Card: Nvidia 9800m GTS 1 GB (comparable to the Nvidia 8800 GTS/ GT 240)
RAM: 4 GB DDR3
HD: 320 GB 7200 RPM
Display: 17'' WXGA 1440x900 Resolution (looks beautiful)

You can still find them floating around for $800 or less, I highly recommend looking into one.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
If you can spring the extra to the amount of 1199. The Asus I recently bought is a great gaming laptop. It has the i7 720QM quad core with 6GB ram and the 5870 1GB video card. It runs games great. It will not only run everything out there it should be able to run games for a while. Most gaming laptops barely run the current crop of games let alone future games.

Yes its a great laptop but for about $300 more the OP can get an i7/HD 5870M which performs better but as i said the Gateway one is a great notebook and has a good price/performance ratio

Rejexted

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
The Asus seems like my dream laptop, but the only issue with it is that my brother is getting less-than-comparable service with his recently sent in G72. Is Asus a good brand to buy?

TRENDING THREADS