Solved! No Sound

JW1547

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hello,

Recently my Dell Latitude running XP has come down with a case of laryngitus. In other words no sound through the interal speakers. If i plug external speakers or headphones into the headphone jack all is cured. I have played with all of the possible control settings I can find within the control panel and nothing seems to correct the situation. Please help if you can?

Solution
The motherboard is good because you can still get audio through other means.
I don't believe that there is a setting that would cause an issue like this.

I believe you have a hardware issue. Like a bad cable going to your speakers (inside your laptop). If it's under warranty (within a year of purchase) call Dell. If not your only solution for repair would be a technician that knows what they are doing like myself but I live in Minneapolis and I'm guessing you don't live near me.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
The motherboard is good because you can still get audio through other means.
I don't believe that there is a setting that would cause an issue like this.

I believe you have a hardware issue. Like a bad cable going to your speakers (inside your laptop). If it's under warranty (within a year of purchase) call Dell. If not your only solution for repair would be a technician that knows what they are doing like myself but I live in Minneapolis and I'm guessing you don't live near me.

Solution

rider22

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
hi, i had a nx0910 compaq with the same issue as yours! i was able to get the sound via speakers but not via my internal ones!

i opened the laptop and shouldered 2 wires to make a circuit for the internal speakers and it worked!

oldladysitter

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I had the same problem with a packard bell I opened it up and covering the head phone jack there is a metal cover I removed that carefully as it was only covering the top on mine and from the back could see the pin inside had been forced out to much so with a needle gentally squeezed the pin out towards the centre of the jack it's like a bent bit holds the head phones next to the pin inside and mine started working again .I too thught it was a software fault and tried everything hasn't stopped since just be gental