Solved! Choice of CPU - video card (Dell)

chepeps

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello,

I am ready to buy a Studio 17 from Dell but I am having difficulties to decide between two different option for CPU and video card.

1) core i7 720QM + 1GB2 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
or
2) core i5 520M + ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650, 1GB

The prices are very similar (and this is not the issue). I am really no expert but I have the feeling that the CPU of the first one is better but its video card is weaker...

I am really no expert and would warmly welcome a few words of advice.

I am not an intensive gamer but, this is my "desktop" and I would like to be able to play a few recent games (even if not with all graphic options at max) and hopefully run "new" games (in decent settings) for as long as I can (I am likely to keep this computer for approximately 3 years).

Many many thanks for your help !

Solution
You're correct with the stronger CPU/ weaker GPU combo. Considering you want to game, I would get the 5650 unit - a stronger GPU will go farther than a stronger CPU - plus, it's not like the i5 is weak, by any means.

frozenlead

Distinguished
You're correct with the stronger CPU/ weaker GPU combo. Considering you want to game, I would get the 5650 unit - a stronger GPU will go farther than a stronger CPU - plus, it's not like the i5 is weak, by any means.

Solution

chepeps

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for such a quick reply... which confirms that I had reason to suspect that the best one may not be the one with the stronger CPU.

May I ask one more question ?

The basic option for memory is 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz. It can be upgraded for a couple hundred $ to 6GB. This is something I can afford if it really makes a noticeable difference. Does it ?

I am sorry for my dumb questions but I am looking at computer specs once every 3 or 4 years, as I buy a new laptop... and they change so dramatically over such a short time ! 4GB memory was like enormous 3 years ago if I recall correctly !

Thanks again.

chepeps

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for such a quick reply... which confirms that I had reason to suspect that the best one may not be the one with the stronger CPU.

May I ask one more question ?

The basic option for memory is 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz. It can be upgraded for a couple hundred $ to 6GB. This is something I can afford if it really makes a noticeable difference. Does it ?

I am sorry for my dumb questions but I am looking at computer specs once every 3 or 4 years, as I buy a new laptop... and they change so dramatically over such a short time ! 4GB memory was like enormous 3 years ago if I recall correctly !

Thanks again.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The delta from 4 to 6 GB is not worth the upgrade now for your uses, and it certainly isn't worth a few hundred dollars. Memory is easy to upgrade - down the road, if you do end up needing 6GB, you'll be able to pick it up much cheaper than that - and it takes less than 3 minutes to install.

My recommendation is to stick with 4. It's overkill for now.

chepeps

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer a second question ! :)

As I got some contradictory advice on the second identical thread I accidently created, I am seeking a bit more feedback there... you are most welcome to give it a look !

Many thanks !