Yamaha NS-SP1800BL vs Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home, worth the upgrade?

online4gary

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
I currently own the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL speakers. They have the best reviews under $200.

I am using Onkyo TX-SR507 5.1-Channel A/V Surround Home Theater Receiver.

I am thinking of buying the Energy 5.1 Take Classic as an upgrade which has the best reviews under $400. Is it really an upgrade worth $400 from the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL to Energy 5.1 Take Classic? The Yamaha sound decent but not really mind blowing. Is the Energy 5.1 Take Classic really that much better?

Should I also upgrade my receiver or it wouldn't make a difference? I would hate to buy better speakers but not having better sound because of my receiver.

Also, do I really need 14 gauge speaker wires for speakers to sound good? They are only about 10 feet away from my receiver. I am using 18 gauge now and no distortion. Will using 14 gauge improve sound quality at all?

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i have a yamaha 6.1 system with speakers that are very similar to what you have and i am torn between if i like them or not . i am certain that i do not care for the way they play music from compact disc weather it is stereo or 5.1 or 6.1 . watching movies on the other hand with this set up is ok for now ,if money were no object i would replace them with something better . i should mention that i have a yamaha 6.1 receiver with matching dvd changer .

as for speaker wire , i think 18 gauge should be adequate for small speakers rated at less than 100 watts it is what i am running , but upgrading speaker wire is always + .

the energy system has caught my eye once or twice it looks like a good deal , but if i were in that far i might take a look the mirage nano sat system , the way the tweeters are diffused makes me think imaging for 5.1 would be awesome and i would have think for the money this system would deliver a bit on playing music

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_653NANO51B/Mirage-Nanosat-5-1-Compact-Home-Theater-Speaker-System.html?search=mirage+nano+sat