Bose speaker model 101 quit working can I use a 901 speaker?

etroth1971

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
My Bose Monitor 101 speaker blew. Would a Boes 901 speakr be a good replacement? I cant find the 101 speaker anywhere cuz they are so old I guess.

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i would try using a 901 speaker for this as these drivers a both very similar in appearance , not sure if there any difference otherwise i think that the 901 and 101 share drivers,if not they look identical . i did have a pair of 101's at one time and did open them up because one of them sounded off and i seen a resistor installed across the +and- terminals of the speaker and it was broken .my guess is probably because the drivers alone are 1 ohm they added that resistor to get 4 ohm impedance . as for needing an equalizer ,i don't think that would be the case as amplifier power for one of these drivers would make up for a lot of the response curve as opposed to trying to run 9 of them on the same amplifier power.

I think he is talking about a full speaker replacement not just a driver. Why I said a 901 speaker isn't the answer. The 101s and 901s might share the same small full range driver. The 901s use a Bose equalizer like I said above to to make up for their lack of bass and treble.

You could of course replace the 101 with a 901 speaker but it wouldn't really make sense. Driver wise it would probably be ok.

wannabegeek

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I also have the question, "Can I use the 901 driver in my 101 speaker case ?"
I have an old pair of 101's and one of them dropped breaking the driver.

The 901's appear to have the same dimensions and mount points.

There is clearly a parallel LRC bandpass filter built into the speaker unit. I suppose I'll need to replace both driver's of the pair so that the amplifier is
balanced.

Now I have another question, since the 901 drivers look pretty basic, do i really need to replace
with Bose driver, or can I buy another inexpensive one...? I don't have a lot of experience with speakers, so I don' t know if the mount holes for 4.5 " drivers are universal or proprietary or something in between.

Glad someone else has had this issue too.

cheers,
wbg