How do i get my screen to use the full monitor

jackjackjack

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hello,
I recently replaced the screen on my Dell inspiron 1520 due to smashing the old one. After having my new screen put in (by a friend) the image only uses about 3/4's of the monitor.. Help to make the image use the full monitor would very much be appreciated?

G

Go into Control Panel, Display and set the refresh rate and (perhaps) resolution to the screen's native settings. LCD's are usually happy at 60Hz.

Then select the resolution which fits your needs (and, hopefully, the screen).

If still problems, look for a newer graphics driver at Dell site.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Tell us the exact model and specs of the monitor, if possible. If it is a CRT monitor, you may need to use the adjustments on the monitor, like vertical and horizontal size, to make the image fit the screen.

jackjackjack

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Go into Control Panel, Display and set the refresh rate and (perhaps) resolution to the screen's native settings. LCD's are usually happy at 60Hz.

Then select the resolution which fits your needs (and, hopefully, the screen).

If still problems, look for a newer graphics driver at Dell site.

The refresh rate is already at 60Hz and is unchangable, so newer graphics driver could be the key.
thankyou very much for your response and help.

jackjackjack

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

Is there any way to find out the specs and model of the monitor without paperwork or remembering which website i purchased from?? How could i try to correct adjustments incase it is a CRT monitor??
thankyou very much for your response and help.

G

Have a look at the case and note down maker's name and model number. Google it, (hopefully) visit the maker's site, download manual for that model.

You can easily tell if it's LCD or CRT -- LCD monitor is a flat case like a laptop screen.
CRT is bulky like an old style TV.