dontknowitall

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
My apologies if this is the wrong section, but it appeared to be the most suitable in regards to my issue.

I bought a 3X1 HDMI switcher and maybe I am overlooking something, but it is not working the way I intended it to.

I have a NVidia GTS 250 card that supports two of three inputs (HDMI, VGA, DVI). I have two screens running to the card, one as HDMI and the other as VGA. I now added a 32" TV to view movies on and for ease of switching, bought the HDMI switcher. I have the output of the switcher going to HDMI port of the graphics card (this also powers the switcher) and inputs 1 and 2 are occupied with the HDMI cables from one monitor and the TV respectively. Unfortunately the graphics card does not recognize either.

TV HDMI to computer without switcher works flawlessly; the same holds true for the monitor HDMI. Once I include the switcher to the equation, things don't work.

Is it that switchers do not work with a computer HDMI in the output, is it the OS? All the hardware is working and I have the most recent graphics card driver, but somehow everything is not communicating properly with each other :(

For starters, your terminology is backwards.

Your graphics card has HDMI, VGA, and DVI outputs, not inputs
Your Monitors and HDTV have inputs not outputs.
You purchased and HDMI switch that apparently has three inputs and one output when you should have purchased a switch or splitter that has one input and multiple outputs.

One possible solution would be to use a program called UltraMon. This is a program that allows you to set up multiple monitor configurations and easily switch between them.

Connect Monitor 1 using the graphic card's VGA output.
Connect Monitor 2 using the graphic card's DVI output and a DVI to HDMI cable.
Connect the HDTV using the graphic card's HDMI output.

Note: If you currently use the HDMI's audio function when connected to Monitor 2, you will need to find another audio solution.

-Wolf sends