1.6GHz Core i7-720QM Processor

iammaiden

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Hi there,
As I have no knowledge of processors, I need some help with what is probably a silly question. I have recently purchased a laptop with the i7-720QM Processor. My understanding is that it has an in built turbo which allows it to operate at a faster speed.

So my question is, does the processor itself decide when to run 1.6GHz or at a higher speed with the 'turbo'? And if 'yes', in which instances is it likely to happen? The reason I ask is because I am finding it quite slow and very difficult to run nhl.com to watch live games. BTW, my laptop has 4GB of ram, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help/ advice.

Solution
Turbo mode for the "core i series" will kick in when the system detects that more CPU power is needed. For example, if you were playing a computer game, the 720m would detect that it needs a bit more speed, the processor will "throttle up" to 2.8Ghz for as long as it is within the proper temperature range (so it doesn't overheat). Otherwise, the chip will run at 1.6Ghz. So essentially, yes, the chip will decide when to throttle up.

In regard to having issues watching streaming games, it probably doesn't have anything to do with the hardware, but rather your Internet connection. If you are on a wireless connection, chances are that that is what is causing you trouble. Try hooking up directly to a "hard line" and see if that improves...
Turbo mode for the "core i series" will kick in when the system detects that more CPU power is needed. For example, if you were playing a computer game, the 720m would detect that it needs a bit more speed, the processor will "throttle up" to 2.8Ghz for as long as it is within the proper temperature range (so it doesn't overheat). Otherwise, the chip will run at 1.6Ghz. So essentially, yes, the chip will decide when to throttle up.

In regard to having issues watching streaming games, it probably doesn't have anything to do with the hardware, but rather your Internet connection. If you are on a wireless connection, chances are that that is what is causing you trouble. Try hooking up directly to a "hard line" and see if that improves things.

Solution
OK, is your laptop so slow it affects internet site performance? I doubt it.
More likely the NHL site is slow. Or maybe you have a slow internet connection?