Running bose 4 0hm speakers

murrule

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
i have a set of old 6.1 bose speakers I am trying to run . they are 4 ohm speakers . I had them on an older pioneer receiver and a flashing overload sign came on the receiver and now it is not working So then i used another older sony twin drive receiver I had and now it is fried a sign protected is flashing can you tell me what is going on I want to use these 6.1 bose as I have read great reviews on them I have another powerful pioneer amp I want to try but am worried I will fry it as well thanks murray

Solution
first thing i would do is check the speakers dc resistance (ohms) with a multi meter , check at the terminals where you would connect speaker wires.you should observe somewhere around 3-6 ohms if you test with meter . if you see 1 or 2 ohms that might suggest a problem with the speaker . if you see anywhere between 3-6 ohms consider this check to be ok .
many stereo amplifiers are rated for 8 ohms and only a few are stable at 4 ohms or lower . the lower your speakers resistence is , the more power thew amplifier running is capable of delivering to the circuit . for example an amplifier rated for 100 watts @ 8 ohms may actually be trying to deliver 200 watts @4 ohms because the resistence has been reduced by half . the problem is that...

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
first thing i would do is check the speakers dc resistance (ohms) with a multi meter , check at the terminals where you would connect speaker wires.you should observe somewhere around 3-6 ohms if you test with meter . if you see 1 or 2 ohms that might suggest a problem with the speaker . if you see anywhere between 3-6 ohms consider this check to be ok .
many stereo amplifiers are rated for 8 ohms and only a few are stable at 4 ohms or lower . the lower your speakers resistence is , the more power thew amplifier running is capable of delivering to the circuit . for example an amplifier rated for 100 watts @ 8 ohms may actually be trying to deliver 200 watts @4 ohms because the resistence has been reduced by half . the problem is that more heat is generated and more demand is placed on the amplifier's components .
my opinion is that the amplifiers you have had fail were not stable at 4 ohms .
i do know first hand that many yamaha stereo amplifiers are capable of 4 ohms and some even 2ohms and they are built very solid .

hope this helps

Solution

murrule

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
thank you I will check the ohms on those asap I have another pioneer amp that I will try it has 4 0hm speaker terminals . I have an older harmon amp that I wanted to use as it has sub out on it and my pioneer doesn't m