Need tv repair help please

fsbowman

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hello,
i have a 36 inch sylvania tube tv that has sound and a line across a black screen...I can see movement in this line...i have the back of my tv off i can take pictures if needed. I read online that possibly resolder the vertical output IC would help but my insides look nothing like the insides of the tv on that blog...also nothing appears to need resoldering nothing is loose..please help me

Just buy a new or used LCD, you do NOT want to be messing with the insides of a tube TV unless you know what you are doing. You can actually kill yourself even if the thing is unplugged from the charge in the capacitor. Granted, death is a bit extreme of an outcome, but better to be safe.

I picked up a used 37" LCD for under $200 from craigslist (funny, this is the third post here that I posted this at LOL). You can buy a new one for 3-400 that is pretty good. A 36" tube would have the viewing area of about a 35" LCD, you can get a 32" LCD, even a new one, for not much over $200.

You'll also be saving on electrical costs for the thing, I'm guessing that TV draws about 300 watts, an LCD in that size screen would be 100 or less.