Old AVR no HDMI - hook up speakers through it to HDTV?

RepCom1140

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hi,
We just got a Samsung HDTV and have it hooked up to a HD cable box. The audio from the tv is so-so.
We also have a set of 2 bose speakers hooked up to an AV receiver (almost 10 years old; has no HDMI port) and a cd player, cassette player.

My question is, how do I connect the TV audio to the bose speakers?

I've googled this and most answers involve hdmi to avr... which is impossible in this situation.

Do I hook the red/white from tv to avr "video 1" ? OR
red/white from cable box to avr "video 1" ?
I also have a dvd player; do I need a separate red/white cable for that also?

Is there something about hdmi video that prevents the red/white cables from working?
here is the back of the AVR
2012-10-12_11-24-26_360_zpsc0d8f707.jpg

2012-10-12_11-26-02_176_zps40cbae5e.jpg

Solution
You don't connect the TV to the AV receiver. Connect both the cable box and DVD player with separate L/R audio cable to whichever 2 inputs you prefer (Video 1 and 2 are the most obvious). Connect both to the TV with HDMI. Usually when you plug in the HDMI it affects the digital audio outputs but not the analog audio outputs. You can check the menus for the cable box and DVD to change how the audio is routed if needed.
By the way please trim the speaker wires that connect to the back of the receiver so that no bare copper shows when inserted. You have a short circuit waiting to happen that could blow the receiver up.
You don't connect the TV to the AV receiver. Connect both the cable box and DVD player with separate L/R audio cable to whichever 2 inputs you prefer (Video 1 and 2 are the most obvious). Connect both to the TV with HDMI. Usually when you plug in the HDMI it affects the digital audio outputs but not the analog audio outputs. You can check the menus for the cable box and DVD to change how the audio is routed if needed.
By the way please trim the speaker wires that connect to the back of the receiver so that no bare copper shows when inserted. You have a short circuit waiting to happen that could blow the receiver up.

Solution

RepCom1140

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Sorry if I seem a bit dense, but let me get this straight...
I currently have hdmi from tv to cable box.

I need to plug the red/white into the cable box and AV receiver.

That way the video flows from cable box to tv via hdmi and the audio flows from cable box to AV receiver via Red/White audio cable?