Solved! I errased a hard disk drive completely after an infection, and when tried to ins

Solution
Enter Bios and there must be a setting there called "SATA mode" or sthg like that and you must change the value from "AHCI" to "Compatibility mode". It should do the trick, although i say you should use vista or 7, XP is old. Time for some upgrades.
G

Please repost completing the text which was too long to fit the heading. This time put it in the message space.

kusaho

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
When I erased the hard drive and tried to reinstall an operating system (XP from Dell), the message appears: "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. My computer is a Gateway notebook, and the OS was Vista. I don't have any Gateway reinstallation CD. What is wrong? Is that about the hard drive or the reinstallation cd? Thank you for your suggestion.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Enter Bios and there must be a setting there called "SATA mode" or sthg like that and you must change the value from "AHCI" to "Compatibility mode". It should do the trick, although i say you should use vista or 7, XP is old. Time for some upgrades.

Solution
G

You may find that the Dell supplied copy of XP is only intended to work on their machines.

Erasing your hard drive may have wiped a Partition put on it by Gateway containing the back up image of their Windows installation -- that's often how Win is delivered these days instead of a CD.

As per the above posting, check the BIOS screens to make sure that the hard drive is listed -- usually press Del key as the computer first starts -- but see Gateway manual. Once you know the hard drive is recognised by the BIOS look at the boot order -- to install from CD you usually need the DC/DVD drive to boot first.

If the hard drive is present/working and my assumption about the Dell CD only working on a Dell computer is correct you may have to buy a copy of Windows.

Sorry to sound unsympathetic but we see this sort of thing all the time -- I have to ask why you decided to do something so drastic as wiping the hard drive without really knowing what you're doing ??

In future use anti-virus and anti-malware products and wipe only as a last resort.

easytech101

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
the reason you are seeing that error message is the XP disc from Dell does not contain your hard disk's SATA drivers. The only choice you have is using a floppy disk (or external drive if your machine doesn't have one) to add the drivers or to install a different OS, such as windows 7 that would permit you to had those drivers from disk if they weren't already natively provided.

Short of that, like a previous poster suggested, you can manipulate the BIOS settings for RAID performance to IDE or AHCI (should be set on SATA or RAID by default).