Using old speakers in a new reciever

copybeard

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Hello everyone. First time here, and I hope this question is pretty straightforward.

I've just bought a new Sony receiver for my home theatre set up, and instead of shelling out another couple hundred quid for a new set of speakers, I was planning on using the brilliant speakers from my old Phillips DVD/receiver.

The new receiver is the Sony STRDH510: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-home-cinema-receiver/str-dh510
The old one is a Phillips HTS3357: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=pk&ctn=HTS3357/98

Here's my question:

The Phillips subwoofer connects to the old receiver using two bare wires. The new receiver has a subwoofer jack. If I connect the bare speaker wires to an RCA plug, will the subwoofer work? Also, anyone know how to connect bare speaker wires to an RCA plug?

Cheers all. :)

Solution
Looking at the PDF for that receiver, it doesn't have speaker terminals for a subwoofer.
So you need a separate amp for the subwoofer if it doesn't have a built in amp.

That is what the subwoofer(jack) out is to send a signal to a powered subwoofer or amp for the subwoofer.

You can probably use the Phillips as your amp. Subwoofer out(Sony) to a audio in on the Phillips and connect the subwoofer to the Phillips.
Looking at the PDF for that receiver, it doesn't have speaker terminals for a subwoofer.
So you need a separate amp for the subwoofer if it doesn't have a built in amp.

That is what the subwoofer(jack) out is to send a signal to a powered subwoofer or amp for the subwoofer.

You can probably use the Phillips as your amp. Subwoofer out(Sony) to a audio in on the Phillips and connect the subwoofer to the Phillips.

Solution

copybeard

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Interesting. In the interests of keeping things clean (and being able to dump the old phillips), I should probably just buy a powered subwoofer though, right? Or live without for now :/

Thanks for the reply. :)