5.1 speakers set up, only 3 speakers working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I just got an extra 2 speakers and a subwoofer and set them up and plugged them in.
The subwoofer works great, but the two surround speakers seem to not be doing anything.

The data is transmitted from my laptop to a tv via hdmi and then to an old str de875 (discontinued) audio receiver.

After digging around for a long time, I think I found the problem, which is that the tv only takes 2 channels max, meaning that the audio receiver isn't receiving and sending all audio channels to the speakers.

The audio receiver is very old and doesn't take in hdmi input.

How do I solve this problem?

Edit: Title says that 3 speakers are working, but it's only dual audio as far as I can tell
The receiver is working correctly when I use the built in test, but anything going from the laptop and through the tv becomes 2.1 sounds spread between the speakers

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Your TV is most likely able to send multi-channel audio signal through S/PDIF output by toslink, rca, mini-jack or any connector as long as its digital signal if it have. Do not connect your TV using RCA red and white or black terminal because it only contain stereo signal. check your TV for Digital audio output and use it.

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I am using a digital optical cable to connect my tv to the audio receiver

I know that I can solve all my problems if i buy a new av receiver, but I want to try working around it if possible

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I said it up there, it's a str de875 but it's really old and discontinued
it supports surround sound up to a 5.1 i think
I know what I'm supposed to do is hook up my laptop to the av receiver and then to the tv and speakers, but since it's old, there's no hdmi in the av (heck, there's not even dvi or vga)
Because of that, I have to hook it through my tv, a LG 60PZ550, via hdmi, but I don't think it's capable of passing 5.1 to my receiver

I don't really want to be wasting another 300 - 600 dollars on a newer av receiver if I don't have to...
That's the gist of my problem

Unless your laptop has a way to send out 5.1 to the receiver(besides HDMI), for example an optical out, 5.1 mini to 6 rca plugs(Don't think they make one, I didn't check.) You can't go that route but I see that the TV has an optical out and the receiver has an optical in.

SO it looks like, hook your laptop with HDMI into the TV then optical out on the TV to optical in to your receiver. I hope that works.You will probably have to configure the the TV in its menus to work.

Happy listening, the Prisoner.

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that I was clear in my description...
My laptop sends info to my tv thru HDMI which as far as I know sends out 5.1 just fine, and then my TV is connected to my receiver with a digital optical, so that isn't the issue

When I check on my computer, the tv only has 2 channels, so I don't know if this is a tv issue with not sending 5.1 to my receiver or a computer issue not sending 5.1 to my tv

Is there any way to check this out?

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
took a couple screens of what I see, will upload them soon

Here they are
http://imageshack.us/g/17/screenlxj.png/

Also if it helps, I don't really care about having 5.1 on constantly, only when I am watching movies, and when I am, I use the CCCP codec pack with WMPC:HT'

Also, another problem I seem to be having is that I am using tall speakers for my left and right channels and only using small foot tall speakers for surround. How can I boost the volume on the smaller speakers?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I've tried my tv connected to Logitech Z680 and laptop connected via hdmi and I got DTS signal 5.1 if my disc content has it. If the media only contain stereo signal then the PLL kicks in (simulated surround also called Matrix from logitech). I wonder why your Reciever can't read your multi-channel signal?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
In addition, your full range speaker (front) usually sounds louder than your bookshelf (rear) speakers do. There should be settings on your receiver where you can adjust volume level on your rear speakers but not much, especially if your system using virtual surround sound.

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008

Yea I can boost my surround speakers up to +6 db, and during my built in volume test the surround speakers are very balanced, but when stuff plays, I can't hear anything at all. Sound is definitely coming out, but its so small you can't even hear it if you stand like 3 feet away

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Then welcome to the world of multi-channel system.

Your source is most likely a stereo signal, you need a "real" discreete multi channel source and NOT simulated one like the contents from DVD Audio or SACD disc. or anything with AC3 signal.

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008

sorry for the delay, I've had no power or internet for the past week
I managed to get the multichannels working and I definitely am playing files that output surround sound, I can hear the differences between the different channels.
However, even with the built in volume testing and +6 db on the surround, I can't hear it at all when movies are playing...

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

That is somewhat puzzeling. But have you tried connecting the front speakers to the rear to check if it's louder than the rear speakers? If not, then your receiver settings might be off?

It sounds like you're getting proper 5.1 surround sounds but some movies don't actaully play surround if no sound is recorded for rears. The best way to test it properly is if you have DVD Audio or SACD or even DVD video like concert or music video with DD or DTS content.

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
For example, I was playing Batman Begins which had DTS
I can hear the surround speakers if i keep my ears up to it, but especially with the front overpowering the surround, its almost impossible to hear the back speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.