Audiophile

Solution

"We Are Human After All" - Daft Punk

yes, audiophile by definition seems to relate more with ones obsession with equipment and not so much ones love of music. an audiophile is concerned with sound reproduction, a music lover is concerned with music. an audiophile will never enjoy any music unless they believe the actual sound is reproduced. a music lover will listen to a transistor radio all day, and all night. maybe there needs to be another term like, musicphile. :pfff:

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Do you know what is imaging is?What type of system do you own? Thanks marv

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I'm not exactly which "imaging" you are referring to, I know it to be the quality of depth and positioning that a speaker/acoustical environmental can produce. Meaning, how well it can create points in space that make almost know where different instruments are coming from, or providing a large sound-stage which makes it sound 3-D and lively.

My system? Complex to explain. My two front stereo speakers are kenwoods (forgot which model), but they have a 12'' woofer on the bottom and its a ported enclosure. They have cone mid-range and tweeters. Pretty large also, about probably around 5feet tall.

My Center is a KLH (cheapo), because I don't use it much.

My Surrounds and backs are custom made. Each speaker has a tower with 4-midrange drivers, 4 dome tweeters, and 1 supertweeter, all attached to a separate subwoofer enclosure with a 12'' woofer in a double-port.

Along with that, I have a two subwoofers. An Onkyo 8'' 100Watt (from an ancient HTIB I got it from, its surprisingly pretty good. My second powered subwoofer is a 500Watt 12'' Sealed box. Oh boy does it give a punch :).

So to summarize, excluding my center channel, I have 4-super-tweeters, 18-tweeters, 18 mid-range drivers, and 7x 12'' Woofers/Subwoofers and another 8'' subwoofer.

In my HT room, which is about 33ftx15ft, closed room, sounds amazing. I can play the entire system in a stereo at the same time, so when you stand in the dead-center, its like headphones.

Oh my AMP is a Denon BTW.

i'm not audiophile enough to be spending $10k on a speaker system or loading up my mp3 with flac files... but i'm enough of one to cringe when i hear any crackle hiss or distort caused by a bad system, unshielded wire or bad source. i do what i can where i can without going to excess.

as blackhawk stated... thats about as much as i know about imaging. i dont have the luxury of having a perfect symetrical area to set up a nice soundstage. i'm forced to use speaker delay to somewhat compensate... though i cheated and used the set-up mic on my receiver.

using a pioneer vsx-30 receiver, klipsch quintet IV (5.0) satelite speakers and a klipsch 450w subwoofer in a 15x13 room.

----

did you have a question for people here on the forums (easier to just post the question from the start) or are you just polling to see what types of people frequent these forums?

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Used to be anyway. I had a NAD integrated 50wpc amp powering DCM Time Windows with a Sony cd player and a Thorens TT with an Ortofon Cartridge back in the late 80's. Still have the Time Widows.
Dave

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
This is my question I posted about are you an audiophile or not?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I use to own time windows also in the 80's nice speaker.

I am a gorilla audiophile.
I like good sound, but I also realize how much money people waste on over-hyped equipment and cables, that accomplish nothing.
I can get better sounding equipment from a garage sale.

@op

then i guess i answered the question. i am to a point, but not to excess.

@guru,

i hear you there, you can easily end up spending alot of money on equipment. i've seen quite a few nice buys at flea markets (i dont do garage sales) but i dont buy it because i'm kind of obsessed with appearances (dont want mismatching or scratched up equipment) so i've never bought anything.

about 3-4 months after i got my klipsch quintet IV speakers, i saw them at a sale (the previous gen) for like $75-100. i'm happy with my purchase still but it makes me think about the money i could have saved if i wasnt so crazy about having new.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It depends on what equipment you buy at these sales.Some equipment is over priced I agree with you.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Recently bought some Polk monitor 50's with a Polk 10 sub to replace the 30 year old Time Windows. Connected to a high current HK 3490 reciever with simulated surround sound for the home theater experience. The source is a new Sony dvd player to play both dvd movies and audio cds. Still a bit of an audiophile I guess.
Sadly the Thorens/Ortofon is no more but I have all the musiv I want on cds anyway.
Dave

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
The audiophile is never content. They want better and bigger which is a disease I use to have. Thankfully no more.

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

"We Are Human After All" - Daft Punk

yes, audiophile by definition seems to relate more with ones obsession with equipment and not so much ones love of music. an audiophile is concerned with sound reproduction, a music lover is concerned with music. an audiophile will never enjoy any music unless they believe the actual sound is reproduced. a music lover will listen to a transistor radio all day, and all night. maybe there needs to be another term like, musicphile. :pfff:

Solution

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Sadly true - I threw a lot of $$ into equipment but would have been content with a modest setup with nice sound. And there is no "Absolute Sound" reproduced by any system out there. JMHO
Dave