Digital cable box converter

Steven M

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
My cable provider has recently gone digital. The "cable box" they offer can tune only ONE channel at a time; I have an analog VCR that won't work with the digital signal. I'm looking for a box that can convert ALL the digital signals furnished by the cable co. so that my VCR can record ANY channel when on timer mode, when I can't change the channel signal furnished by the cable company's box. Where can I buy such a beast??

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Unfortunately, there isn't such a device. The cable company uses a totally different signal type, and your VCR is too old to understand it. You could use a QAM tuner, but no matter how you cut it, your VCR won't be able to tune to the proper channel. Your only option, is to set the tuner on the station you want to record, and set the VCR to record at a specific time. it just simply isn't smart enough to change the channel. Your cable company does probably offer a DVR for your cable package.

RIP Video Cassette.

In addition to what jcoultas98 states, you may be able to program your current set top box to automatically change channels when a VCR recording is scheduled to being. Other than that, you're looking at a DVR from your cable company, or a Home Theater PC (HTPC) with a cablecard TV Tuner. Indeed, RIP Video Cassette.

-Wolf sends

Steven M

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Thank you. I was afraid of that............I lament the days when I could just plug the VCR into the cable outlet, set the timer on the VCR to whatever channels and times I wanted to record programs, and forget it. Seems they never run out of ways to scam more money out of your pocket: they supply a 'cable box' so the analog TV can work with the digital signal..............FREE for ONE YEAR then they're going to soak us for $7/month MORE to have the box! Wish there were an alternative to these blood suckers!!! Talk about 'got you by the balls'.............grrrrrrrrrrrr. Thanks again for your help :)

Steven M

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Thank you for your help. I was afraid of that, the cable co. (Optimum) has figured out a NEW WAY to scan money out of us............the new 'cable box' that enables the older TV to use the digital signal is FREE for one year, then they're going to rape us out of $7/month just to HAVE the box; otherwise you can't watch TV! What a bunch of greedy bastards!!!

the1father

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Does your VCR have an IR blaster? An IR blaster mimics the remote signal of the cable box. It can turn on the

cable box or change the channel at a scheduled time. Many VCRs had this feature. Check your owners

manual.