Best headphones for under 300$

jastew1011

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hello, I am looking for two headphones. One portable one for under 100$ and one over the ear one fore under 300$ and preferably under 250$.

Currently, I like the klipsch s4i and possibly the bose in-ear for the in-ear headphone and possibly the bose comfort 15 for the over-ear headphone. Thanks for your help

Solution
Audiotechnica ATH-M50
$135-$200 depending on where you buy them.

one of the best rated headphones for under $300. they are low resistance also so you can use them with your portable mp3 player without an amp, though if you prefer you can use them with a mini-portable amp.

great bass, clear highs, balanced (its a studio headphone after all)

oh and they fold up so are semi-portable.

---

as for portable headphones,

i've heard that people like the klipsch in-ear headphones but if i need earbuds i use cheapies. in-ear headphones get torn up so quick that its not worth putting much money into them. i just make due with gummy brand and replace them every other month.

BOSE in general doesnt make good speakers. the only reason they sound...
Audiotechnica ATH-M50
$135-$200 depending on where you buy them.

one of the best rated headphones for under $300. they are low resistance also so you can use them with your portable mp3 player without an amp, though if you prefer you can use them with a mini-portable amp.

great bass, clear highs, balanced (its a studio headphone after all)

oh and they fold up so are semi-portable.

---

as for portable headphones,

i've heard that people like the klipsch in-ear headphones but if i need earbuds i use cheapies. in-ear headphones get torn up so quick that its not worth putting much money into them. i just make due with gummy brand and replace them every other month.

BOSE in general doesnt make good speakers. the only reason they sound okay is the technology. i would really suggest looking elsewhere unless you want a noise cancelling model (which sound like crud to me anyways)

i've had the $100 bose over-the-ear model and the audiotechnica's completely outclass them so bad it isnt even funny. if you're thinking about over the ear for portable, just take the AT's as they fold up.

as for in-ear bose... never heard them personally but i would trust klisph over bose if i had to buy one of the two.

Solution

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
... why on earth would you waste that much money on a pair of headphones?! My laptop cost 300$! i have a 10$ pair of philips earbud/hook over the ear headphones i use with my mp3 player and the sound is just fine!, the bass isnt all that good but seriously? do you need that expencive of headphones? as long as they are comfertable and sound good who cares? anyway, if you want earbud style heaphones for travel go to walmart.com and get the phillips for 10 bucks. save your money for more important or useful things.

@mildgamer001

and my computer cost $2200 minus monitor, my speakers cost $1200... your point being what?

some people are willing to spend more money to get higher quality sound. until you've heard a good system, or in this case a good set of headphones, you will not understand.

personally i use a pair of gummy headphones whenever i'm at the gym or in a location where it would be hard to use my studio headphones. they work, but they sound like crud. for a true listening experience you need something better.

---

@zippearz

no, it looks like you just want to advertise your website.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

i understand the computer, that isnt headphones though. where do you even FIND speakers for 1200$? is it like a huge surround sound system thats real fancy and plated with gold? im not really trying to criticize anyone, but seriously.. anyhow, enjoy being able to spend so much money on such simple things.

The best headphones are ones that cover the entire ear, like a cup.
Avoid headphones that press against the ear, with foam pads. This can be painful over long periods of time. I mean really painful.
Earbuds, in-ear types, are a joke.
If you are serious about headphones, it's STAX. There is nothing better. To me, the sound quality of electrostaic headphones is mind bowing.
If you have a limited budget, it's Sennheiser...but you get what you pay for, and there's a lot of junk headphones, which claim to be "professional."
Never trust reviews or salespeople. Completely unreliable.
Go to where you can put them on your head, listen long and hard, and judge for yourself.

Audio Technica has always, to me, been substandard for sure.