Question about adding a 2.1 sound bar to TV

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I want to add a sound bar to my LG TV and am looking a 2 different models. One is a Samsung and one is an LG. My question is: How is volume handled between the bar and TV? If I set the audio level on the bar and try to Volume up on the TV, will it get louder or does the sound bar's volume always override the level on the TV? The reason I'm asking is it will determine which brand I get Since the LG one would probably be adjustable from my current remote (Direct TV.)
I'd hate to have to add a remote just for volume or buy a real expensive Universal remote (my wife always drops and loses remotes).
I hope my question was somewhat easy to understand. I don't know if I'm explaining it right.

How the volume is controlled depends on how the soundbar connects. Some soundbars have HDMI inputs and outputs so that the volume would adjust from the soundbar. Other soundbars connect to the TV with an optical digital audio cable. Your sources stay connected to the TV in this case. With this type the TV volume control should control the volumes (the soundbar may also have its own volume control but you can leave this at a set level). If the LG soundbar is controllable from the Direct TV remote there is a good chance the Samsung is too since they are both major manufacturers.