Denon 1912 Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

caissuper

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
not sure if this thread falls under High-End Audio Sub-category....

i am a newbie to Receivers and home theater; i know some of my friends say i should have gone with htib but i do not regret the move though..
i get good (know its subjective!) sound but is this all? may be i had my expectation high? Especially with the subwoofer!

tried with both Velodyne and Polk

i have a room of 10ft X 20ft (filled with furniture)
Receiver: Denon 1912
Front speaker Pair: Polk Tsi 100
Center Speaker: Polk CS10
Surround/Rear Speakers: Polk RTi A1
Subwoofer: Polk psw 225i (earlier)/Velodyne Impact mini (present)

distance from viewing position to speakers:
center/front: around 9ft
rear: round 7 ft
subwoofer: 9ft (denon audyssey setup always detected 27ft; which i think even manual said it may detect farther than actually it is! dont know why though). i m not looking for sub-woofer to be like windows rattling sound or have my apartment neighbor jump out of his couch but decent bass which i do not even feel it even when i stand beside it... i initially thought the wireless Polk subwoofer was not working properly and exchanged it for Velodyne after reading reviews that it has such a bass that it can even
make your neighbor complain! it could be that it is a user error; that's me : )

i have read a lot of reviews and settings on the web and couldn't conclude one way of doing things but not sure if i finally settled with the "right" settings...
its been more than a week and i haven't yet even tried half of Denons options!

i have MultiEQ set to Audyssey
Dynamic EQ ON
reference offset 0 db
Dyamic Volume: day
Audio delay: 0ms

i had Audyssey run but didnt like the sound after the setup was done so changed as below:
channel level:
front:3.5db
center: 4.5db
subwoofer: 5db
surround L/R: 10db
surround mode for movie/music: dolby PLII (tried other ones too)
amp assign: normal
cable used: monster cable

speaker config: small

bass setting: subwoofer mode: LFE (i have tried both the settings of cross over freq and phase on the subwoofer at varying positions and physical location of subwoofer)
LPF for LFE: 90hz
cross over freq: front/60hz, center/40hz, srround/60hz
volume limit: off

audio sources tested: mp3 cd, tv audio out connected through optical, blueray disc played on ps3 connected through A/V
tv: Samsung UN46C6500 (receiver output connected to TV through HDMI)

firstly, thanks for reading this... it is a long post but i am getting frustrated a little bit now that i cant make it work...(do not know if that is the case or like i said just need to set my expectation right)...
Thanks for any help!

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
i am a newbie to Receivers and home theater; i know some of my friends say i should have gone with htib but i do not regret the move though..

i get good (know its subjective!) sound but is this all? may be i had my expectation high? Especially with the subwoofer!

HTIB are extremely poor quality. I never suggest going with them.

i have a room of 10ft X 20ft (filled with furniture)

Receiver: Denon 1912

Front speaker Pair: Polk Tsi 100

Surround/Rear Speakers: Polk RTi A1

Subwoofer: Polk psw 225i (earlier)/Velodyne Impact mini (present)

distance from viewing position to speakers:

center/front: around 9ft

rear: round 7 ft

subwoofer: 9ft (denon audyssey setup always detected 27ft; which i think even manual said it may detect farther than actually it is! dont know why though). i m not looking for sub-woofer to be like windows rattling sound or have my apartment neighbor jump out of his couch but decent bass which i do not even feel it even when i stand beside it... i initially thought the wireless Polk subwoofer was not working properly and exchanged it for Velodyne after reading reviews that it has such a bass that it can even

Your expectations are way too high.

Your current Velodyne subwoofer is a mere 180watts with a tiny 6.5'' driver. Don't expect wonders from it.

Your room is quite large too.

However here are my personal tips to increasing your bass.

-Place it into a corner. If you place into a corner with walls meeting, your perceived bass volume will be louder.

-If you listen to music, make sure you listen to a high quality song file (CD file or a high quality MP3 file). Youtube quality at 128kbps is atrocious.

-If you have it connected to a computer, use an equalizer to boost some of the lower frequencies.

i initially thought the wireless Polk subwoofer was not working properly and exchanged it for Velodyne after reading reviews that it has such a bass that it can even

The people who wrote those reviews never actually heard what real bass feels like...they think they have, but they really have no reference points to compare to. A subwoofer of that power and size is not going to be able to make lots of bass...infact barely at all.

cross over freq: front/60hz, center/40hz, srround/60hz

What kind of speakers do you have your fronts, center, and surrounds?...Are they large?...whats the size of the largest driver on your front speakers? 12''? 6''?!

firstly, thanks for reading this... it is a long post but i am getting frustrated a little bit now that i cant make it work...(do not know if that is the case or like i said just need to set my expectation right)...
Thanks for any help!

You definitely, need to get your expectation straight. 180watts of RMS from a tiny subwoofer will not get even a good deep rattle when you need it. Based on whats out on the market, most quality 10-12'' subwoofers will get the job done. Some subwoofers have multiple 8'' or multiple 10'' driver for more output and some have 15 and even 18'' driver with large enclosures for more depth/loudness.

Just to put into perspective, if you want a good feeling of depth and bass, in a room of your size, I think a quality 12'' or even better, two 12'' subwoofers would do just fine. Remember though Quality>Quantity (in relation to audio).

Lets also not forget acoustics, if your room has poor acoustical properties (which can be affected by furniture and a variety of other things), it can create deadspots of almost no bass at all, and bass-spots...which can be right next to a dead spot and have absurd amounts of bass.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
turn, Audyssey off, its much better to do it manually, and pls, turn off dynamic eq.... why on earth would you enable that?????

ur cross over is way too damn low, no matter how extreme the front speakers are, even if they were 21inch woofed up party speakers.... 80hz to 70hz is just fine...

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
turn, Audyssey off, its much better to do it manually, and pls, turn off dynamic eq.... why on earth would you enable that?????

ur cross over is way too damn low, no matter how extreme the front speakers are, even if they were 21inch woofed up party speakers.... 80hz to 70hz is just fine...

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
^No no, I have some very large speakers with 12'' woofers and they handle frequencies into the low 30Hz's, so I set my crossovers at around that 30-40hz...I think I may have them set at full band...which is full range of 20hz-20khz.

If you have small satellite speakers then I recommend upping the crossover frequencies to 100-120hz, maybe even 150hz and making your subwoofer crossover a bit higher to compensate for the frequency gap if possible.

caissuper

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
"What kind of speakers do you have your fronts, center, and surrounds?...Are they large?...whats the size of the largest driver on your front speakers? 12''? 6''?!"

i have these for:
Front speaker Pair: Polk Tsi 100 (now rear)
Surround/Rear Speakers: Polk RTi A1(now front)

not sure what is a driver in speakers? Thanks

caissuper

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

turned off dymanic EQ and bumped up the cross over to 80hz and sounds much better now... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.