Recommended amplifier for 2 channel set up

kokokh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
hi all,

so ive just bought a pair of B&W 601's, added them to my systems with a pair of YAMAHA NS-45E's with my JVC RX-5000 receiver and found that the receiver is now powerful enough to drive both channels.

so i am now looking at buying a new Stereo amp to replace my current, but i am now sure what to get or what kind of power i need. I know that the JVC in 100wpc one channel driven so i think i need 100wpc 2 channel driven but am only looking to spend £200, and i do not mind buying second hand.

Have already done a lot of ebaying to no vail, does anyone have any suggestions on what i need to drive these speakers.

Thanks all.

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i am afraid that you are going to have to go above your budget some if you want to get the power needed to drive these loud and clean and to their potential . i would guess that you really probably want more than 100 watt per channel.
yamaha m-80 ,m-70, m-60 mx1 are a few models i would try to aquire ,or maybe a adcom gfa555 or gfa545 a few of these are rated above 100 watts rms but i would rather have excess wattage , most amplifies , the less you push them the cleaner they sound .
you may be able to get an adcom amp for your budget , but the m-80 will be difficult to find for 200 ,but not impossible . i would urge you to hold out for something good though . otherwise if you can't too long , take a look at later model yamaha receivers , i think they have an impressive amplifier .

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Try finding an old Phase Linear Amp 400 which is 200 rms a channel. You can buy this for about $200 tops and it is a decent sound for your speakers.Go on Audiogon to look for this.