Dead Pixel on Mitsubishi 7373 HDTV ?

Jinglheimer

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
I HAVE A VERY BAD AND WORSENING PROBLEM WITH DEAD PIXELS ON MY SET. IT'S A 73" DLP MITSUBISHI AND I'M SHOCKED BY THS AS IT WAS USED VERY LITTLE AND I JUST REPLACED A LAMP FOR IT. WHAT IS A REPAIR ESTIMATE OF THIS?

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
You would be looking at replacing the entire optical block that houses the DMD (DLP chip). Without knowing exacts on current pricing, i'd guess somewhere between 500-800. (Sony's current repair cost on an SXRD optical block is right at 800). If you are still under warranty, I'd give them a call. DLP, like LCD has a specific number/percentage of dead dead pixels on the DLP chip to be considered a lemon, or defective.

judyneric

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

judyneric

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Yeah, $200 is awesome, compared to what the full cost would be.

Can you imagine how many people with that problem had sets that were out of warranty, so they never contacted Mitsu, and either tossed the TV, or paid full cost for the repair? Ugh.

I called Mitsu about my several dead pixels (black) and they said it's under warranty and are having someone come look at it today. I was surprised they are sending someone, because the warranty says they allow for up to 0.02% visible dead pixels.

Of course, the guy may get here and tell me he's not fixing anything, because it's less than that 0.02%. I read somewhere that 0.02% could be up to 27 dead pixels. Can you image having that many dead pixels all over the screen? Just having a few is a visible annoyance.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Each manufacturer has different rules for dead pixels in LCD, LCOS, and DLP. A few manufacturers have a zero dead pixel policy, like acer. Some don't have a policy, and won't repair anything regardless. Most manufacturers are between 5 and 25, and also depend on color and placement. Best of luck! There is also a class action lawsuit pending, you can either get your repair paid for, or purchase a 2011 model DLP at dealer cost (cheaper than retail cost).

judyneric

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
thanks jcoultas. i just bought this set in Nov 11, a 73".

regardless, i'll look up the class action info. i have a 60" from 3 or so years ago that has a serious problem with the speakers (static as loud as the source sound) --- which i didn't realize until I bought the 73", because the 60" was always hooked up thru a receiver. when i moved it to another room with no receiver, well, bring on the static. of course it was out of warranty. by then. :??:

thanks for the info on class actions, it probably won't apply to me, but the knowledge is good to have.