HP DV7 running very hot please help

damithagg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hi I bought this laptop hoping to play some games on it when my old lady is on my desktop. The problem is it seems to run a little bit hot.

Specs on the Laptop:

i7 q720 1.6ghz -2.8ghz boost
6gb ddr3 ram
gt230m GPU

The temps are about 50C idle and after about 45mins of gaming the temps break 80c so I shut it down. I'm not sure if this is normal. The game I have running is sims 3. I run it at 1024 x 768 and med settings.

Is there something wrong with my laptop or is this normal? I am still under warranty should I take it back into best buy or call hp? I used to have a dell xps lappy with a crappier card than this that could play wow for hours without heating up like this.

burnandlearn

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I have the hp laptop dv73057 that I use for work and fun. It started heating up so I used yee old dustspray can to clear out vent and cool it down as well as having to turn it off. I have been told by numerous people that they are not happy with the AMD version and they are notorious for heating up. Last week it started heating up fast and I have to unplug to shut down fast. Now part of my hard drive is fried. Recommendations 1) Don't go with AMD for processor next time around 2) clean out vents underneath with cannister 3) use cooling fan underneath. Unfortunately I have also been told that these entertainment type laptops can't handle alot of graphic type game playing or video watching. Hope that helps but If under warranty would call hp and have them send box postage paid to send to them to look at. MOST important of all this very minute make sure you back up everything you have on a passport or other back up device before anything gets FRIED. Once its gone its gone. Hope this helps.

Badaap

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Same problems here with HP dv7 machine that is but two years old. I have downloaded and installed Speedfan 4.45 and it tells me that the GPU temperature rises occasionally to 107 Celsius! Also my laptop sometimes turns itself off, well duh! This laptop is just not designed properly.
When speaking to HP they tell me to clean the openings every month and basically they cannot do anything more.
If I had only known. I would never have bought this.
Would you believe it that just as I typed this the computer died on me again. I hate this machine.

klc3998

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

Goggle pavillon dv7 and see what your problem is . HP knows there is a problem and has since 10/2009 were screwed. 918-798-4920 kathy bought mine at best buy also

klc3998

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

goggle hp pavillan dv7 you will see your problem.. Should have been recalled